Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

repeating - can you carry on subjects?

Options
  • 12-08-2009 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I failed french so got no points for it which means I won't get any of my top 3 on my CAO. I also did really bad in Biology and ag science.
    But I did better than I thought in Irish and English - can I use them for next years points?

was anyone eles french a bit odd - I've never ever failed it!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

You can't carry over subjects from two sittings of the Leaving Cert for points. They can only be used for matriculation purposes, e.g. If you need a C3 in honours maths. Then any sitting can be used but the points from that subject will not be counted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

You can't carry over subjects from two sittings of the Leaving Cert for points. They can only be used for matriculation purposes, e.g. If you need a C3 in honours maths. Then any sitting can be used but the points from that subject will not be counted.

oh ****!!!!
    I'll have to go through a new english course!!!
    This day is getting worse and worse!:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

If I have two LC's. First year I get A1 and next year I get B1 wil points not be given for the higher grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Skyuser wrote: »
    If I have two LC's. First year I get A1 and next year I get B1 wil points not be given for the higher grade.

Unfortunately not. The calculation of points for the Leaving Cert is based on ONE sitting of the examinations. :(

Previous attempts at the exams/subjects can only be used for entry requirements for courses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭likely_lass

ambyangel wrote: »
    oh ****!!!!
    I'll have to go through a new english course!!!
    This day is getting worse and worse!:(

if you passed english you dont need to repeat it same goes for languages, you can count the pass for "course requierments" you just can pick and choose points for two years....e.g if you failed maths you could repeat just maths, if you passed second time round you would just use your previous points

most people dont repeat english, i did, didnt work out as i expected i actually dropped a few grades - you could try taking up a "easy" subject instead like ag science if your going to the institute

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ambyangel

if you passed english you dont need to repeat it same goes for languages, you can count the pass for "course requierments" you just can pick and choose points for two years....e.g if you failed maths you could repeat just maths, if you passed second time round you would just use your previous points

most people dont repeat english, i did, didnt work out as i expected i actually dropped a few grades - you could try taking up a "easy" subject instead like ag science if your going to the institute

But I didn't get enough points so I will have to re-sit english?
    I got a C in it(higher).

I did ag science and got a D!:rolleyes:

I got a C in it(higher).

do you have the course requirement in eng???? most courses just want a pass you can count this years pass & take up a different subjects for points next year do you get me ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭lala stone

I got a C in it(higher).

Repeating isnt so bad at all,, the year will fly and u will be alot more mature.. no one ever regrets repeating! :cool:

lala stone wrote: »
    Repeating isnt so bad at all,, the year will fly and u will be alot more mature.. no one ever regrets repeating! :cool:

AGREED!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

The only thing i'm bummed about is the fact of having to do a whole new english course :(

• Advertisement

Mr.S wrote: »
    So If you repeat, you dont have to do english again if you passed it? It just wont count for any points, right?

I got a B3 and i dout i'd get that again with a whole new course to learn in a year, so could i just keep my English grade for college requirements and repeat my other subjects?

yeah but if you only did 6 subjects youd need to take up something else

its not really a whole new english course 2/3 poets are repeated, & my comparative texts were the same the only problem is the play, i repeated it caus i love poetry but im thinking it was a mistake, i dropped a few grades but im getting it rechecked caus ive been a A student all year

Advertisement