Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Promotion

Options
  • 12-08-2009 5:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

So I've started a gaming website (theres an opinion thread) and the site s completed and I'm adding the final touches.

I've had a gaming site before and my main ways was to submit content to N4G and Digg, but I was wondering what good, free ways is there to send traffic to my site?

I've done all the usual stuff. Search engines, Dmoz directory forums signatures ect.

Does anybody want to share some ways of getting a flow of traffic to a website? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

post over in the games section of boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Ha yeah, hopefully people will notice the sig!

Thanks for the advice, greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Google Ads if you want to spend money.

padocon wrote: »
    Google Ads if you want to spend money.

No unfortunately my budget is a princely sum of (wait for it): €0.00

Any more suggestions to suit the budget (if you can call it that :D)

Bono Vox wrote: »
    No unfortunately my budget is a princely sum of (wait for it): €0.00

Any more suggestions to suit the budget (if you can call it that :D)

Hmm... Well I'm not fimular with gaming but is there a site that has lists of good game sites for gamers. No

Word of mouth is a free one, you would be surprised how well it works! Tell all your friends, family, anyone you know, even if there not into gaming someone they know will!

Send out an email to all you contacts too!

There are like gaming fairs too, I saw one on tv, you could go to one, wonder is there one in Dublin.

How are you going to make money out of this? Ads on your page? A subscription? Or are you doing in for the benefit of others?

Also what's the site? Maybe I can give it a go! ;)

• Advertisement

Hmm... Well I'm not fimular with gaming but is there a site that has lists of good game sites for gamers. No

Word of mouth is a free one, you would be surprised how well it works! Tell all your friends, family, anyone you know, even if there not into gaming someone they know will!

Send out an email to all you contacts too!

There are like gaming fairs too, I saw one on tv, you could go to one, wonder is there one in Dublin.

How are you going to make money out of this? Ads on your page? A subscription? Or are you doing in for the benefit of others?

Also what's the site? Maybe I can give it a go! ;)

Promotion would mainly be from the computer. I would consider representing the site and game fairs and whatnot, but probably not until the site is a little bit more established.

As for word of mouth, thats a great suggestion and I have already started that, thanks for the good advice, much appreciated!

Making money from this will mainly come from ads and affiliates but thats not the reason for the site. I enjoy writing about video games so its just a hobby. I have some other writers also writing so if I do start to make money I would love to start paying them, even if it is small.

Thanks padocon!

Anyone else like to suggest something?

Promotion would mainly be from the computer. I would consider representing the site and game fairs and whatnot, but probably not until the site is a little bit more established.

As for word of mouth, thats a great suggestion and I have already started that, thanks for the good advice, much appreciated!

Making money from this will mainly come from ads and affiliates but thats not the reason for the site. I enjoy writing about video games so its just a hobby. I have some other writers also writing so if I do start to make money I would love to start paying them, even if it is small.

Thanks padocon!

Anyone else like to suggest something?

Cool! Your welcome. What's the site?

Cool! Your welcome. What's the site?

Its called MyInsideGamer and the link is in my forum and user title. Not sure if I'm allowed post a link so I'll just direct you to other ones ;)

Also, is there any websites that you can post an ad looking for some freelance writers for video games?

Thanks guys!

To write for free?

• Advertisement

Yeah, but to get experience. Many writers do to get experience. I done it for over a year before starting my website.

Yeah, but to get experience. Many writers do to get experience. I done it for over a year before starting my website.

No idea where you would look for someone. There's a creative writing section on boards. They may not be into gaming though.

Thats a nice site you have! Did you design it yourself?

No idea where you would look for someone. There's a creative writing section on boards. They may not be into gaming though.

Thats a nice site you have! Did you design it yourself?

I began writing a gaming PHP script, but I ended up buying a script instead. I'm glad you like it and thanks for the advice!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Maybe entice writers on other sites over to your by offering them a share of your site or let them be admins. Ya got to give something to get something back. Then maybe they will bring readers of their reviews to your site.

If ya had a few people on board you could all go to events (LAN partys if they still happen, Press releases of games etc.) dressed in T-shirts with your site name printed on it. Develop the brand among people that could potentially use your site. Talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry at these and ask them to check out your review of the game played or launched.

I know feck all about computer games and LAN parties if they still go on with high speed broadband.

kikel wrote: »
    Maybe entice writers on other sites over to your by offering them a share of your site or let them be admins. Ya got to give something to get something back. Then maybe they will bring readers of their reviews to your site.

If ya had a few people on board you could all go to events (LAN partys if they still happen, Press releases of games etc.) dressed in T-shirts with your site name printed on it. Develop the brand among people that could potentially use your site. Talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry at these and ask them to check out your review of the game played or launched.

I know feck all about computer games and LAN parties if they still go on with high speed broadband.

Well we do offer reviewers the review codes to keep, and my word that if the site picks up and we begin to make money then they will get an even share.

And also writers become admin by default as it comes with the user level so the moderate the forums, edit comments ect.

Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement