Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Shower

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

lads can someone tell me in plane english what time i will be able to see this tonight :D

Comments

All of the time. Look out any time you can, even over the next few nights. It's not like a pass of the Space Station, a meteor shower is spread over many nights (even weeks), and visible at most times. There is of course a peak time (that was around 6-7 PM today that will be around 7PM tomorrow night), but the shower will put out a good show for many nights to come. For tonight, any time around midnight should be the highlight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Ronyponyboi

All of the time. Look out any time you can, even over the next few nights. It's not like a pass of the Space Station, a meteor shower is spread over many nights (even weeks), and visible at most times. There is of course a peak time (that was around 6-7 PM today), but the shower will put out a good show for many nights to come. For tonight, any time around midnight should be the highlight.

Thank you very much !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Can it been seen with the naked eye?

Shame about all this cloud!

Can it been seen with the naked eye?

It can. Have you ever seen a shooting star? Well, a meteor shower is just when there is a high frequency of shooting stars (maybe 50/100 an hour at peak times).
    Shame about all this cloud!

I know, typical Ireland. It's raining here, so there isn't a hope of seeing anything. There should still be a relatively high frequency of meteors over the coming week. Also, don't forget that the peak isn't until tomorrow evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

what direction should i look??

• Advertisement

In the general NE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

hhhank you, just copped the rain here too, pah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

It can. Have you ever seen a shooting star? Well, a meteor shower is just when there is a high frequency of shooting stars (maybe 50/100 an hour at peak times).
    I have seen one shooting star, an absolutely spectacular one at that. Sounds good, hopefully I'll be able to catch some on my camera if the clouds clear tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,448 ✭✭✭✭joes girls

Is it too late now for tonight?

joes girls wrote: »
    Is it too late now for tonight?

Nope, not at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

Hopefully the louds clear up. There is a couple of breaks in them at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

UP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As has already been said, you should keep looking on any clear night for several nights to come yet. Meteor showers are not one night shows. They all have a date at which they peak, but for the days before and after them you can still see a lot of them if you get good conditions and have the time and patience. Perseus, the constellation from where the meteors seem to come from, is in the northeast. But when meteors happen they can go right across the sky and can come from other parts. The best thing to do is to scan around when you look, rather than just looking in one direction. Even better, lie down. That way you get a wider view of the sky. So if you have the time, get your sun lounger out (no need for sunglasses, shorts and suntan lotion :)) and have a good look. Even while waiting for a meteor to pass, you will see plenty of other things of interest in the night sky. Jupiter is unmistakeable as a very bright object towards the southeast, which will be seen by midnight. With binoculars, you will even see its moons.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

Flukey wrote: »
    As has already been said, you should keep looking on any clear night for several nights to come yet. Meteor showers are not one night shows. They all have a date at which they peak, but for the days before and after them you can still see a lot of them if you get good conditions and have the time and patience. Perseus, the constellation from where the meteors seem to come from, is in the northeast. But when meteors happen they can go right across the sky and can come from other parts. The best thing to do is to scan around when you look, rather than just looking in one direction. Even better, lie down. That way you get a wider view of the sky. So if you have the time, get your sun lounger out (no need for sunglasses, shorts and suntan lotion :)) and have a good look. Even while waiting for a meteor to pass, you will see plenty of other things of interest in the night sky. Jupiter is unmistakeable as a very bright object towards the southeast, which will be seen by midnight. With binoculars, you will even see its moons.

Saw not a single meteor in this "shower"! However, jupiter was amazing! Thanks for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭A7X

keiran110 wrote: »
    Saw not a single meteor in this "shower"! However, jupiter was amazing! Thanks for the info!

Me either! Saw a lot of clouds though...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭keiran110

A7X wrote: »
    Me either! Saw a lot of clouds though...

Ah yes. nobodys denying the beauty of the clouds that night! :D

Advertisement