Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreasonable quote?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭

I got a quote to have a simple website made up to advertise a shop and I'm a little suspicious of some of the pricing. On top of the base fee they're looking for €300 extra to add a google maps link, google translate and a flash animation that cycles between a few images.

After a quick google €100 each for these seems excessive, the google maps and google translate seem like a straight forward job that google provides for free and I can't imagine there's anything special about the animation.

They've done some good work and the site looks good but should they be looking for that much for that job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Hmm, I would have thought all that would be included in the base fee.

I did a web development module in college last year and believe me, adding google maps to a website isn't rocket science and the code is readily available if you google it, only a matter of copying and pasting then.

To me it seems a bit excessive, I would be asking that to be included in the base fee (obviously depending on how much that is?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Id say they are charging mostly for the flash animation.

It also depends on their setup and experience, which can play a big factor in pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Something may be simple, but taking the time to do it right is still time taken to implement something & test it. What you're talking about seems like an absolute minimum of 1 days work, and if someone if chargin 300 per day, then that's pretty cheap, especially if it's a studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

To me it seems a bit excessive, I would be asking that to be included in the base fee (obviously depending on how much that is?).

The base fee is €1000 for a 5 page site and they're sorting out a years hosting for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

Their trying to take you for one to be honest, thats outrageous

1000 euro for a 5 page ?!

my 5 page package is 500 euro and that includes hosting and domain registration and I can be alot more features than their offering you

• Advertisement

Deaddude wrote: »
    Their trying to take you for one to be honest, thats outrageous

1000 euro for a 5 page ?!

my 5 page package is 500 euro and that includes hosting and domain registration and I can be alot more features than their offering you

Who are you with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Pricing a website depends on many factors.
    Two websites with 5 pages are totally different and so will be the price for development.

Bragging about it can create a lot of discussion and might not be worth it as per above.

300€ for the required work as said above is not too much and it seems fair.
    Without knowing your website plan, is hard to say if 1000€ was too much or too little so I'll have no comment on that because it will be unfair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭ve

From years of dealing with customers in relation to traditional software development and web based projects, this is my opinion on the matter...

"simple website" usually means, "I don't understand the value of the web to any significant degree and based on that I can't see myself investing beyond the bare minimum".

They find it difficult to tell the difference between work done and work done right. Simply because there are little to no quality, accessible & impartial information resources available that will allow them make best use of the medium and select a professional service with confidence. The fact that this resource does not exist leaves more professional service providers open to harsher judgement in terms of price when there are so many chancers out there with Frontpage/Joomla templates producing rubbish and beating them on price. My advice for people getting work done is to get educated and know that saying "I want a basic website, comprising of (x) pages" means very little in terms of how simple or complex, leading to how expensive the project will be. I could produce for you in a couple of hours a 10 page website with your own domain name and hosting for less than €100 as long as you give me content. Now here comes the real truth...will it do your business justice, absolutely not!, but it will be a website, with your own .com or whatever, hosted on the web comprising of 10 page along with a few other bits that takes a matter of seconds to complete that I can use to sweeten the deal. So please my advice is to know what you are paying for and get educated.

OP obviously I don't know you and can't assume you are precisely in this category of client, but you have no idea how many times people use the words "simple website" when they have little or no idea how complex something is that they are asking for, and just want it cheap. I blame this on the fact that there are so many complete chancers out there charging very little for very poor quality and exploiting gaps in the requirements spec. and so many people can't tell the difference until they have to start from scratch and correct the damage their corporate image has already received.

[edit]louie's post above is a much more concise way of expressing some of my thoughts exactly[/edit]

ve wrote: »
    OP obviously I don't know you and can't assume you are precisely in this category of client, but you have no idea how many times people use the words "simple website" when they have little or no idea how complex something is that they are asking for, and just want it cheap. I blame this on the fact that there are so many complete chancers out there charging very little for very poor quality and exploiting gaps in the requirements spec. and so many people can't tell the difference until they have to start from scratch and correct the damage their corporate image has already received.

[edit]As you can see louie's above had a much more concise way of expressing my exact thoughts[/edit]
    I understand that there's a good bit of work in a site and its done well, thats why I wasn't orignially questioning the €1000 fee for the site. Its the €100 for a google maps link and €100 for google translate links that had me uncertain as it seems excessive for a simple job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I can't see the 3 items being €100 each, to be honest.

Yes, there's a bit of work if you do a Google Map properly, with an API key as distinct from an iframe, but it wouldn't be €100 worth; I'd also guess that the Flash animation was the major part of the €300, which would be cheap.

As others have said, though, it depends on the existing site, and what needs to be moved and retested to add those, and whether there's a CMS involved, etc, etc.

It's impossible to tell without knowing the site and the back-end, and knowing what the Flash movie is meant to do, and where it needs to go on a page, and how many possible potential revisions they're allowing for, and what format the content will be provided in.

€300 is barely a little over a day's work....so it's not hugely excessive by any means.

Unfortunately, companies offering mickey-mouse templated Flash sites have made many people who don't know what's involved think that quality and time are worthless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    the google maps and google translate seem like a straight forward job that google provides for free

Google might provide them for free, but they won't end up on your website by themselves.
    Ciaran500 wrote: »
    I can't imagine there's anything special about the animation.

Well, it's your animation, and it's obviously special enough that you need it - so tell us what you need it to do, and what pages it needs to go on, and what content you're providing them with, whether they'll need to source stock photos/images, and what file size it should be when optimised, and what other content is on those pages that might need to be rearranged.....

Not being funny - just listing SOME of the criteria that we're talking about.

Out of curiosity, how much is a day-and-a-bit of your time worth, Ciaran ?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Well, it's your animation, and it's obviously special enough that you need it - so tell us what you need it to do, and what pages it needs to go on, and what content you're providing them with, whether they'll need to source stock photos/images, and what file size it should be when optimised, and what other content is on those pages that might need to be rearranged.....
    All images provided, its just a gallery on the front page only, not sure of the exact size but its about 400 * 500.
    Out of curiosity, how much is a day-and-a-bit of your time worth, Ciaran ?
    About €100 :(

EDIT: Just saw the other post
    I can't see the 3 items being €100 each, to be honest.

Yes, there's a bit of work if you do a Google Map properly, with an API key as distinct from an iframe, but it wouldn't be €100 worth; I'd also guess that the Flash animation was the major part of the €300, which would be cheap.
    Its broken down to €100 a piece.
    As others have said, though, it depends on the existing site, and what needs to be moved and retested to add those, and whether there's a CMS involved, etc, etc.
    Its a completely new site.
    It's impossible to tell without knowing the site and the back-end, and knowing what the Flash movie is meant to do, and where it needs to go on a page, and how many possible potential revisions they're allowing for, and what format the content will be provided in.
    Its just going to cycle randomly through a few pictures of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I have a company Ciaran but it's basically freelance work, my site is down at the moment (I'm revamping it)

http://adeptdesign.ie

Advertisement