Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor tax question

Options
  • 11-08-2009 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Just saw a Mitsubushi Pajero for sale on the net, it was a passenger jeep with rear seats, had NCT done with about 18 months left, but the strange thing is it was advertised as "crewcab tax"

I assumed that crewcab tax was the same as commercial tax. If it is how then has he put rear seats in it (illegally??)?? Whats even more strange is how is it NCT and not DOE? I thought you had to produce the NCT or DOE to get it taxed??

It is definately a jeep and not a L200 or such.

Any ideas??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Anyone any ideas?????

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

moved to 4x4 4um

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

D.O.E. + C.R.W. required for commercial tax, N.C.T. not required for private tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭knoxor

Sounds like it must be a little tax dodge. I assume that the cab crew tax is lower than normal road tax?

Maybe you have a choice of putting it thru the NCT or DOE .

http://www.wicklow.ie/Apps/WicklowBeta/Motortax/crewCabs.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

A 3.0 would be over 1000 euro cheaper on commercial tax then Private tax

• Advertisement

Slidey wrote: »
    A 3.0 would be over 1000 euro cheaper on commercial tax then Private tax
    I know (jeep was 2.5 but still big gap), i want to know how he's doing it and if its legal??

aujopimur wrote: »
    D.O.E. + C.R.W. required for commercial tax, N.C.T. not required for private tax.

That's my point though, he says its got crew cab (commercial) tax which would have meant it should have DOE, but he says its NCT and that it has 20 months left, (isn't DOE annual??)

DOE is annual and he would not be able to tax it commercially if he hadn't a DOE on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I know some of the Land Cruiser VX models are legally taxed as crewcabs as they have enough space with 3 of the 8 seats removed (and some conversion work) to qualify as a crewcab. maybe something similar was done here. are the rearmost side windows blacked out?

Yeah have seen one alright, it had the floor of its boot modified to get the crew cab tax as well. No longer possible or so I was told.

Regardless, if it is taxed commercially it must be DOE'd to do this. NCT will not test a commercial vehicle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they changed the VRT rules (in 2004 IIRC) so that the a percentage of the vehicles length must be loadspace. the Land Cruiser had a lowered floor which meant rediredting the exhaust.

Advertisement