Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL/UPC - Cisco EPC2425

Options
  • 11-08-2009 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Looking to connect up the new apartment. Renting so can't
    install cables around the place so going to try make sure
    I configure the Wireless so both strength and speed are good
    both for internal file transfer and connecting to internet.

Internet connection UPC 10/20mb line (may upgrade from 10)

Equipment:

● Dell PC with Windows Vista running on it. (2 rooms away from
    the point of the wireless router.)

● Mac Book Pro

● XBox 360 (right beside in point)

● Dell Laptop

* I'm looking to share files between all devices if possible.

Few basics I'm working on

1. The 'G' Wireless speeds are plenty fast for connecting to
    internet as my internet connection is only 10mbs and 'G'
    goes up to 54?

2. if I want to use the 'N' Standard i'll need to update
    my standard Cisco EPC2425 router or turn off the wireless
    on it and connect a more powerful router by cable?

3. Can i get up to 104mbs on the Cisco router?
    ( http://short.ie/sngnyu - pdf doc on this device)
    to follow from that would this ( http://short.ie/wwd4u9
    - D-Link AirPlus XtremeG - 108Mbps Super G Wireless 802.11g
    PCI Adapter) be able to connet to the Cisco router
    at up to 104mbs? In the pdf for the cisco router it
    just says:

" ● 802.11g Wireless Access Point with 4 service set identifiers
    (SSIDs)

● Wireless Protected Setup (WPS), including a push button
    switch to activate WPS for
    simplified and secure wireless setup "

If I want to have a very fast setup what is the best way to set it up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭mehmeh12

dereko wrote: »
    ● Wireless Protected Setup (WPS), including a push button
    switch to activate WPS for
    simplified and secure wireless setup "

What is this? Some sort of new WPA?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Are you looking for advice on how to set up the hardware you already have?
    If so the best thing is just to configure a basic setup and run some throughput tests..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dereko

Sorry i should have been more specific.

Looking to understand what the best wireless set-up would be (Hardware wise). not configuration of individual devices. Considering i already have the Cisco router but i still need to buy equipment to connect PC. (Wireless PCI card i think)

Also just some general advice based on all the info i gave
    on how to get fast access to the internet from all devices and fast transfer between devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Couple of things to note: SuperG, ExtremeG or G+ type technologies won't work with each other. Use G or N. Also, file transfer between computers over wireless is sloooow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The best connections in order of performance are:

- Wired ethernet
    - 200mb/s ethernet over power devices
    - 802.11N operating at 5Ghz using either a dual radio router or a separate router for 802.11G
    - 802.11G

• Advertisement

bk wrote: »
    The best connections in order of performance are:

- Wired ethernet
    - 200mb/s ethernet over power devices
    - 802.11N operating at 5Ghz using either a dual radio router or a separate router for 802.11G
    - 802.11G

When you say ethernet over pwer devices do you mean the stuff that connects you through the electricty plug points?

Would that work in an apartment and are there any major things to watch out with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yes, he's talking about "homeplugs" (google it).

don't waste your time with the 80mbps ones, they won't give you the speed you're looking for, their speed ratings are even more liberally applied than the wireless ones.

just a quick note about wireless speeds, the 54mbps rating is a theoretical 'burst' maximum speed, the best sustained data transfer rate on standard wireless G you'll get is between 30-35mbps, and that's if you have a strong signal with no drop-outs.

passing through two walls, that speed is going to nosedive, assuming yuo can get a stable connection at all (which will depend very much on the hardware you use).

the good news is, an apartment is the ideal place to use homeplugs because they work better over shorter distances and you are only likely to have one electrical circuit (if you're lucky) for all the plug sockets in the apartment.

homeplug speed works a lot better if both (or more) plugs are on the same electrical circuit. speed drops significantly if you cross to a different circuit. simple test is, put two devices where you intend to use them and if the power goes off to both when you flip the individual fuse trip switch, they're on the same circuit. :)

go for ther 200mbps ones anyway if you're going to do it that way.

Cheers, defo going to look into those plugs.

might be the ideal solution for my pc.

One thing, I have an extension cable with 4 things plugged into it..(monitors/printer etc) is there any interference issues having the network connector on this same lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 d-a-s-h

dereko wrote: »
    Cheers, defo going to look into those plugs.

might be the ideal solution for my pc.

One thing, I have an extension cable with 4 things plugged into it..(monitors/printer etc) is there any interference issues having the network connector on this same lead?

generally just keep things like microwaves away from your router and you'll be grand (i know that sounds silly but in an apartment you'd be surprised at the space saving ideas which occur to people) :D

Advertisement