Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flip Flops in work

Options
  • 11-08-2009 2:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just thought I would see how people feel about folks wearing Flip flops in work? Now I’m not talking about a nice pair of shoes, don’t know what the wimmens call them, I am talking about flip flops that would be worn on holidays for the beach.

Me personally I don’t think they should be worn into work as they are not appropriate work wear. you are going to work and not to the beach.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

depends what you work at ,who you work with.
    i'd never work in a place where i couldn't wear flip-flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Meh, as long as the slong is covered

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

jesus wore similar to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Ah yeah nothing worse than the sound of flip flops slapping and scraping off an office floor... oh wait there is the smell of fookin sweaty feet.

I fookin hate flip flops in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

If you are working in a flip-flop factory I don't seem the harm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

jesus wore similar to work.

Risky though - what if he dropped a hammer or a heavy drill or something?

He was always living on the edge that Jesus lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Im with you on this one OP. Wearing them anywhere other than the beach is a bit knackerydoo tbh. Feet are ugly too :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Bit of context please OP. Is work in a health spa or in Macaris chipper...slight difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

As long as people don't smell; are personable and pull their weight, I couldn't care less what they wore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Mad bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

AnonoBoy wrote: »

In more ways than one - he was the first Male pin up you know:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭eamonnm79

Some people with good circulation love the feeling of freedom they get in Flipflops.

Why the heck should it bother people?
    Unless there is a smell problem (actually less likely since the persons feet are cooler) then unnessisary snobbery is the only reason to ban them.

Much Like Michael O leary I think that personal presentation is valued to highly and that performance is much more important than appearance.

Giving people points for appearance is bad for business.
    We often judge on first impressions but we should probobly try not to.

People who are impressed by expensive suits are generally idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Sizzler wrote: »
    Bit of context please OP. Is work in a health spa or in Macaris chipper...slight difference.

Work as in say an office or a shop where you go to get your sandwich at lunch time?

eamonnm79 wrote: »
    Some people with good circulation love the feeling of freedom they get in Flipflops.

Why the heck should it bother people?
    Unless there is a smell problem (actually less likely since the persons feet are cooler) then unnessisary snobbery is the only reason to ban them.

Much Like Michael O leary I think that personal presentation is valued to highly and that performance is much more important than appearance.

Giving people points for appearance is bad for business.
    We often judge on first impressions but we should probobly try not to.

Why flip flops though? Why not a nice pair of open toe shoes, I think thats what a proper shoe is called and not these nasty peices of plastic? Also they are not very safe really, how many times have people tripped up because their flip flop came off?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If I had to decide corporate policy, flips flops would be banned for
    all parties, including cleaning staff and those that work in warm conditions.

Flip flops destroy your feet, and feet are also ugly imo.
    So bloodly impractical. Keep them at the beach please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

What do you deem as appropriate office wear? I mean I couldnt give a toss what people wear to work as long as they work.

People work better if they are comfortable I think. Not that I would wear flip flops because I never wear them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Its all that slapping around that p1sses me off, it's like I would imagine bad sex between two fat people would sound like - gives me shivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,925 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sandals? Sure. Flippity Floppities? I would kill you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mullers78

There's no worse sound than flip flop around the office. There's a couple of smart young ones in here flip flopp'n around the place all flipp'n day and if they keep going on, they'll get a boot in the arse!

And hard

irlmarc wrote: »
    What do you deem as appropriate office wear? I mean I couldnt give a toss what people wear to work as long as they work.

People work better if they are comfortable I think. Not that I would wear flip flops because I never wear them anyway.

Appropriate office wear depending on the dress code are proper shoes, flip flops are not shoes. Even in offices were the dress code is casual, I am sure they dont want their staff turning up in tracksuits, unless its a gym.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Long Onion wrote: »
    it's like I would imagine bad sex between two fat people would sound like

Uggggggh jesus! Cant... hold... lunch.. down... :(

As much as I hate corporate convention, a customer facing employee should
    not be wearing flips flops to work, sporting a weeks worth of stubble to boot.

If you are not customer facing, dress code can be relaxed.It is still no excuse to
    wear cheap, crappy flip flops.

I have a suit, generally only use it for interviews, but it does look quite
    swish:) I am no Business head just to boot.

Abigayle wrote: »
    Uggggggh jesus! Cant... hold... lunch.. down... :(

Ah well a least you dont have flip flops on so no worries over getting sick on your toes. :D

irlmarc wrote: »

It would depend on the context.

Spar deli person = Spar apparel
    Hotel employee = shirt and tie/suit
    Office worker = shirt and tie/casual

It all depends really. Woulden't think beach wear would work
    too well on an off-shore oil rig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Tazdedub wrote: »
    Just thought I would see how people feel about folks wearing Flip flops in work? Now I’m not talking about a nice pair of shoes, don’t know what the wimmens call them, I am talking about flip flops that would be worn on holidays for the beach.

Me personally I don’t think they should be worn into work as they are not appropriate work wear. you are going to work and not to the beach.

if you work with a job where you would be interfacing with the public of people from outside the company then never wear em but otherwise id have no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Naikon wrote: »
    It would depend on the context.

Spar deli person = Spar apparel
    Hotel employee = shirt and tie/suit
    Office worker = shirt and tie/casual

It all depends really. Woulden't think beach wear would work
    too well on an off-shore oil rig.

Well they are customer facing employees so they should be dressed smart. As for an office i dont think a shirt has to be worn, unless there are customers on site. Thats just me though, I mostly wear jeans and a t-shirt.

if you work with a job where you would be interfacing with the public of people from outside the company then never wear em but otherwise id have no problem at all.

So put yourself in the place of a company owner or director, someone comes into work in their beautiful flip flops, that person is walking along the hallway and the slip and fall because of the flip flops and the sprain their ankle or worse. Next thing you are down and employee for however number of days or weeks and secondly that employee now decides to claim compensation from the company because of the accident, even though it was that persons choice to wear their flip flops into work, so now you find yourself having to make a generous pay out to this employee and then look at an increase in your insurance permium, how would you feel about flip flops now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Also they are not very safe really, how many times have people tripped up because their flip flop came off?
    So put yourself in the place of a company owner or director, someone comes into work in their beautiful flip flops, that person is walking along the hallway and the slip and fall because of the flip flops and the sprain their ankle or worse. Next thing you are down and employee for however number of days or weeks and secondly that employee now decides to claim compensation from the company because of the accident, even though it was that persons choice to wear their flip flops into work, so now you find yourself having to make a generous pay out to this employee and then look at an increase in your insurance permium, how would you feel about flip flops now?

I'd love my flip flops, and curse myself for hiring the fool who wore shoes that they couldn't walk in properly.

SeekUp wrote: »
    I'd love my flip flops, and curse myself for hiring the fool who wore shoes that they couldn't walk in properly.

Id fire ya for wearing flip flops.

• Advertisement

So do people see no problem with say wearing a tracksuit into the office with the bottoms of the track suit tucked neatly into the socks and a baseball cap to top it off?

Advertisement