Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Common decency

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭

I've never met a person who didn't (claim to) believe that he or she was a decent person, yet there seem to be many people out there who behave otherwise often. From this, I can only guess that people have very different ideas about what decency is (or perhaps some people have very inaccurate pictures of themselves).

I believe a decent person should be polite and respectful. He or she should try to be nice, without being a doormat. He/she should avoid violence and b*tchy behaviour. I also value honest hard work and caring about one's fellow human. A degree of humility is always appealing.

I also know that a decent human can sometimes behave otherwise.

How do others feel about common decency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I think a better name these days would be 'Uncommon Decency'. And I wasn't even around to know if there were better days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭kavoweb

the thing about common decency,much like common sense,is that unfortunately,it is not that common.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

"Common Decency" is one of the items on my scavenger hunt list. It's right after "Holy Grail" and "Loch Ness Monster".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

kavoweb wrote: »
    the thing about common decency,much like common sense,is that unfortunately,it is not that common.;)
    QFT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

Everyone you think is an idiot thinks you're a a$$hole.
    Everyone you think is an a$$hole thinks you're an idiot.

People tend to treat 'idiots' in a way that from the other perspective makes you lacking in common decency.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

I remember hearing once, we are half way between who we think we are and who others see us as

same with decency I suppose, we can all be decent when it suits us, its just that some are more decent than others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Decent is alas, only one letter away from descent and society is on a steep one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

I have met people over the years who are happy to say they are *****. Not everybody believes they are a decent person

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

BennyLava wrote: »
    I remember hearing once, we are half way between who we think we are and who others see us as

same with decency I suppose, we can all be decent when it suits us, its just that some are more decent than others

Interesting take.

I've come across many people I'd consider to be decent. I actually really like people.

It's just that I've also come across nastiness.

Both groups of people considered themselves to be decent. Riddle me that!

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I have met people over the years who are happy to say they are *****. Not everybody believes they are a decent person

I know not everybody does. But everyone I've met and discussed it with has.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Everyone thinks they themselves are decent, but at heart, they think more of themselves than other people.
    So sometimes they feel they have been wronged and believe they are justified in being indecent to other people. Other times people get insulted when they shouldn't and so react bitchily, or they insult someone without realising it.
    Yet other times, someone puts someone else out without realising it and the person who is put out says nothing, prefering instead to bitch about it to their friends.

All this causes people to be not to be decent.

And then there's just laziness and selfishness.

e.g. giving someone advice on how to raise their kids.
    The person receiving the kids gets insulted and thinks the giver is an interfering a$$hole
    The giver thinks I'm just trying to be helpful why get so worked up about it?
    The result two people who don't like each other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I'm not decent at all. I'm a professional c*nt

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

And people say that sociology degrees are useless :rolleyes:

starflake wrote: »
    And people say that sociology degrees are useless :rolleyes:

Who has a sociology degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Who wants to be decent when you could be daaaaycent?

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Not me, but there was another thread on here today and someone said sociology degrees are useless. It explains a lot of what you were asking in the first thread that's all :)

(Quoting the OP)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

I'm not decent at all. I'm a professional c*nt

its very decent of you to point that out.

starflake wrote: »
    Not me, but there was another thread on here today and someone said sociology degrees are useless. It explains a lot of what you were asking in the first thread that's all :)

(Quoting the OP)

Ah right! Didn't read the thread and have nothing to do with sociology! See what you meant now, though.:)

its very decent of you to point that out.

STFU, I'll kill you and everyone you know :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭johnny_knoxvile

STFU, I'll kill you and everyone you know :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

are you flirting with me?

• Advertisement

are you flirting with me?

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

The monologue in Team America, World Police (you know the one) explains all.*

*May not explain all.

Advertisement