Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can A Private Haulier Make money???

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭

hey.i was recently wondering does anyone know what the rates are in Quarries at the moment for private hauliers.I think more quarries will opt for private hauliers in these recessionary times because they dont carry the same risk as having your own trucks.If you buy a truck for 100,000 grand and that truck is sitting on the yard then your not going to be abkle to pay for it.Where as if you hire a private truck you only hire them when your busy and dobnt have to worry about them on the quiet days.Does any1 know more about this??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You are about 3 years too late.

The place is littered with owner drivers who are cutting each others throat and slashing rates just to cover the payments that are due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭JohnThomas09

Slidey wrote: »
    You are about 3 years too late.

The place is littered with owner drivers who are cutting each others throat and slashing rates just to cover the payments that are due.
    i had thought as much.The reason i thought it might be an idea now is the lads that were drawing form quarries 3 years ago were driving expensive lorries.You could buy a great lorry now for 10,000k.Id say the biggest problem now would be the lack of work and the rates have probably dropped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

about 30 per load plus vat, and you will do between 4 and 7 loads per day,

i had 24 , 8 wheeler tippers and a double drive fh12, i have my own quarry and i also do alot of muck moving, across the country, im down to 2 , 8 whellers now and still have the artic for shifting machines,

the problem is that too many lads who were driving machines and lorries decided it would be a great idea to buy their own wagon or digger, now they have no work , and the wagon or digger is repossessed, and their too ashamed to ask the likes of me , who is established for their old jobs back,

they also contributed to the f111ing up of the rates , per load and per hour right across the country, so i would advise you to stay behind the wheel and collect your envelobe every friday,
    rather than getting registered,
    getting finance,
    getting insurance,
    getting tax at around 2500 per year on an 8 wheeler
    depending on empty promises of money at the end of the month, and having to go sleepless nights stalking people to try and get paid,
    tires could cost you another 10k per year and you never know when one will blow
    slack ajusters and springs are also big spenders, and dont get me started about the testing once per year,
    also you will need a hauliers licence, which noel dempsey isnt giving out to anyone who has been arrested at all in their lifetime, and it could cost snother few grand to sit this also.

then there is always the possibility that you could get work for it and just be fortunate to reverse in on a site to tip and leave the whole lot on its side, that would really help your investment, leaving you stranded with sa pile of debt.

so as you can make out its a bit like farming no matter how much you put into it money and time wise , you will never get a return , because something will always no matter what anyone tells you , go wrong.

Advertisement