Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone bought a FLAC compatible portable music player in this part of the world

Options
  • 11-08-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

I found a list of compatible devices on the FLAC website:

http://flac.sourceforge.net/links.html#hardware

but a lot of them are only avail in the states, or are discontinued, or are only prototypes.

has anyone bought a FLAC compat ipod from Ireland or the UK?

thanks

Ed
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

My old iRiver H3xx brick of a MP3 player have FLAC support.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭edzillion

BOFH_139 wrote: »
    My old iRiver H3xx brick of a MP3 player have FLAC support.

Ok, the new iRivers do also and they sell on pixmania (:mad: ack!), thanks for the tip. Any opinions on how good iRivers are? They seem expensive (at least compared to cheap chinese jobs) for what they do...

ed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ipods knocked em off the leaderboard a few years back.... dint know they still made em... good ol players...back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

There is a custom firmware for mp3 players called rockbox, it supports flac

There is a list of compatibile mp3 players on the site

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

There is a custom firmware for mp3 players called rockbox, it supports flac

There is a list of compatibile mp3 players on the site

Rockbox works great on ipods. I have an iAudio 7 and it supports flac, I got it from advancedmp3players.co.uk with a free set of shure headphones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

I have an iaudio x5 and flac play great on it.

John mac wrote: »
    I have an iaudio x5 and flac play great on it.

Where did you get it? And how much?

Ed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Isn't listening to FLAC through headphones a little like sitting in a Ferrari in rush hour?

Sure it's a nice feature to have, but can you even tell the difference?

I mean I can start to tell the difference on a €2k stereo system with full range speakers. I maintain a FLAC library on a NAS for streaming, but mp3 copies for the portable devices.

nereid wrote: »
    Isn't listening to FLAC through headphones a little like sitting in a Ferrari in rush hour?

Sure it's a nice feature to have, but can you even tell the difference?

I mean I can start to tell the difference on a €2k stereo system with full range speakers. I maintain a FLAC library on a NAS for streaming, but mp3 copies for the portable devices.

A little context: the reason I am looking for a FLAC compatible player is that I have recently started using Media Monkey which is a bloody revelation compared to itunes.

I agree with you about the sound quality of headphones, esp. the in-ear variety - which I think are a scam if you are paying upwards of ~€50 a pair. I have noticed, however, that there are many music players that have volume issues, and playing uncompressed audio on them increases the volume significantly, which then allows you to use the built in EQ and bass etc without totally flattening the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

edzillion wrote: »
    Where did you get it? And how much?

Ed

mx2.co.uk in 2005 paid £280 for it (~€400 at the time)

as regards headphones i use sennhisher 280 pro to listen to my tunes,

the difference between mp3 and flac is huge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

edzillion wrote: »
    ...which then allows you to use the built in EQ and bass etc without totally flattening the sound.

I see. Makes sense.

The space is never an issue on my NAS, but i would never fit my flac library onto my player so it never crossed my mind to think about the feature.

Battery life is more important to me than EQ, since if I want to listen to it loud I stick it on the hifi.

Best of luck with the search though.

Advertisement