Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recession wheels - Diesel or 1L hatchback banger?

Options
  • 11-08-2009 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I'm getting a bit fed up of living in the UK, and thinking of buying a cheap banger over here, chucking all my stuff in the back, and driving back to Dublin.
    Then I'd either register it and sell it, making some money back, or keep it as a cheap hack for a few months. Should be cheaper I reckon than shipping, or renting a car, paying for the ferry and petrol over and back to the UK, and then a flight to Dublin as well.

I was thinking of going for a Pug 106 1.5 diesel - dead slow, but does about 70mpg.
    Is there any market for these though, since the tax is higher on a 1.5, would a little 1L petrol be a better bet?
    Or something totally different? Any advice?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Sounds like a ton of hassle, tbh mate...

I think you'd be better off finding the likes of a Toyota corrolla/ carina/ avensis diesel. You'd have some chance of making a few quid from the many loyal Toyota nuts. I think the only way it'll work out properly is if you keep it for like 6 months min. cheap, old cars are a minefield afterall. It may prove to have some fatal flaw that leaves you lumbered wtih it...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The market for supermini diesels is very small in this country. As for buying in the UK and selling it here to make a few quid, I think you missed that boat by about 1 to 2 years. No longer the same savings from importing that there was last year when used prices here were higher and the exchange rate was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 blacknosugar

Fair comment about the exchange rate etc. but I don't need to make a profit on the whole affair as such. Just offset the expense of moving, as much as possible.

I did think maybe I could skip the hassle of VRT and just flog it up north...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 rmcc1978

If you've owned the car for less than 6 months in the UK you'll still have to pay full VRT, and if you sell it on within 12 months of registering here (If you had been exempt from VRT) you would have to pay VRT based on the value at first registration.

So selling up north seems the only option.

Advertisement