Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unkown Larvae

Options
  • 11-08-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭

Hi All,

I was removing some dead flowers the other evening when i noticed the follwing insect in the tube of one of the flowers. I've never seen anything like it. It had a hard shell on top and the body was worm like and it wriggled like mad when i picked it up. Any ideas?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

This is a moth pupa, the stage between caterpillar and adult.
    If you still have it, you can keep it in a container, perhaps with some leaves and some sand or soil in bottom and the adult will emerge soon, probably next couple weeks. It would be great if you'd return with some photos of the adult.

There is a possibility that what will emerge will not be a moth but a parasite!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭stevensi

I'll have a look to see if i can find it again as i put it into a shrub but it was over a month ago so it might already have turned into a moth...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

stevensi wrote: »
    I'll have a look to see if i can find it again as i put it into a shrub but it was over a month ago so it might already have turned into a moth...
    With the length of time, I wouldn't bother looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

That's a pity.

Advertisement