Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OUT OF WORK AND THINKING OF STUDYING AT HOME

Options
  • 11-08-2009 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭

hi. im just looking for some information about studying at home. what courses would be available to me , and also how could i pick the one thats right for me? im not sure what i want to study.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

joeduggan wrote: »
    im not sure what i want to study.

Right, there's a problem straight away.

There's not really much point in studying something for the hell of it. To help you decide what you want to study, think about what your interests are, where you would like to be when (not if!) you get a job.
    joeduggan wrote: »
    what courses would be available to me , and also how could i pick the one thats right for me?

While you are thinking of the above, also think about how long you are willing to commit. In general terms, the longer you commit to a course for, the better for your career it will be. For example, a 10-week FETAC course won't get you a job in management, whereas a 4-year BA might.

Have a look at www.oscail.ie and www.open.ac.uk for examples of what you can study at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Right, there's a problem straight away.

There's not really much point in studying something for the hell of it. To help you decide what you want to study, think about what your interests are, where you would like to be when (not if!) you get a job.

While you are thinking of the above, also think about how long you are willing to commit. In general terms, the longer you commit to a course for, the better for your career it will be. For example, a 10-week FETAC course won't get you a job in management, whereas a 4-year BA might.

Have a look at www.oscail.ie and www.open.ac.uk for examples of what you can study at home.
    thanks very much tom. will do. its just that i wish there was a test you could do that would tell you what you would be good at etc.

Advertisement