Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT fines

Options
  • 11-08-2009 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Should one be caught by Revenue for being resident and not paying VRT, apart from paying VRT, what sort of penalty/fine should one expect? (Forget about recovery fees)

High horses need not reply, vielen danke :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Last one i heard they had to VRT the car and tax it for 3 months, no other fines/costs

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

need-it wrote: »
    Should one be caught by Revenue for being resident and not paying VRT, apart from paying VRT, what sort of penalty/fine should one expect? (Forget about recovery fees)

High horses need not reply, vielen danke :)
    i think you should move to sligo my friend,if your a millionare,developer millions in dept,drug dealer or a member of weslife VRT does not apply...otherwise just get back to work and keep paying your taxes or you will get a day in front of a judge ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

on customs show on RTE BMW 7 series was stopped, think it cost him 25K in fines and VRT, can't remember the split.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Fine is 10% of the OMSP of the vehicle on which vrt is owed..i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Cars should be seized and taken off these fu**ers and crushed..PAY ONE'S TAXES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.....Now i'll get off one's high horse..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Sids Not wrote: »
    Cars should be seized and taken off these fu**ers and crushed..PAY ONE'S TAXES LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.....Now i'll get off one's high horse..;)

Although I should agree.

Would you also have the same attitude when property tax's are introduced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭WillieCocker

One should have the car taken of thee, and slapped with a large fine and have ones name printed in the local paper.
    One mans high horse is another mans dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

It depends on how long you have had the car in the country. I think its 5% for the first 30 days and 10% over that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Well I think if its a tax to obtain a number plate it should apply the same to all. There shouldnt be exemptions allowing people who have lived abroad to bring the car in for free, this was done simply to keep other EU countries happy so we dont treat their citizens in the same $hitty way as ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

It depends on the customs officer stopping you. In general, for regular cars it's usually "import or export" with a 2 weeks limit.

So you just import the car, pay VRT and that's it.

With the big yokes, like Jag, Porsche, BMW 7-series, Merc SL etc., where people really were pulling the piss, I think they've gone very strict, fining them now and in some case even taking the car.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sids Not wrote: »
    One should have the car taken of thee, and slapped with a large fine and have ones name printed in the local paper.
    One mans high horse is another mans dog.
    The guy asked for advice on how much a fine will be, He also asked for no abuse because he knows he was wrong. I'm guessing he's going to pay the fine, which at the end of the day will bring in more money for the government anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

steve06 wrote: »
    WTF is with people like you? Is your life so sh!tty, sad and dissapointing that you have to hide behind a username and poke a stick at someone while they're down just to make yourself feel better? We all know the deal with the tax, we all also know that the way in which it's applied is bullsh!t.

The guy asked for advice on how much a fine will be, He also asked for no abuse because he knows he was wrong. I'm guessing he's going to pay the fine, which at the end of the day will bring in more money for the government anyway...
    TBH, I got the impression that the OP is weighing up the risk/reward ratio of not paying VRT. In any case, I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement