Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf in Kerry

Options
  • 11-08-2009 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Hello, I bought my surfboard early this summer and as I have a house in Kerry I stay their all summer. Until recently I surfed in st Finians bay which is abou 10 miles where the my house is at caherciveen. Surf here was sometimes unreal and I was aware of the rip there until one rough day I had to save to kids who got caught in the rip and when I helped them out I got caught in it too I almost drowned and I've no intention of going there again unless it's with a friend or there are other suffers there. Sorry for the story but
    My point is would any1 know of another nearby spot suitable for surfing? Thanks again

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Alphakennybody

banna beach is good as long as u stay between the car park, castlegregory, inch are any of them close?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Well the closest of them is inch which is 50 miles away:( and if banna was an option wouldn't ballybunion be better and it's nearby to banna? Thanks tho

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Finians bay is great is small swell if everywhere else is flat. But if its anyway big, it is dangerous unless experienced. You could try Rossbeigh. It is nearer than inch and picks up more swell. I have not surfed it though so not sure how safe it is. Hope that helps. Explore the area and you will find other safer spots further south :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Thanks ya rossbeigh is only 10 miles away that's quite safe but swell there tends to be smallish...I'll only go to finians if a friend is wit me and it's not rough thanks btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Casok

Hows it goin,

I stay in portmagee in the summer and go finians all the time unless its very rough . . if its rough go at low tide and if its too rough then you could try An Trá (Reenroe) between ballinskelligs and waterville . . if thers any swell at all there tends to be decent waves! Plus theres no rip and no jagged rocks to kill urself off :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement