Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance for new drivers

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭

How ya people? Right a bit of a question for all ye brainboxes out there! Im 19 end of the month. I drive a 1.4L Skoda Fabia Multi-Port Injected. Value: €3300. Axa Direct are charging me for comprehensive a huge €2300.:eek: Now as a student, thats not really economical is it? So the whole story from the beginning is... I obtained my provisional this month 2 years ago in 2007. he last July(2008) I got my full. No problem. However, in October 2008 I aquaplaned me mams car (Skoda Octavia 1.6 2005 worth €14000) and wrote it off.:( Now because I was under her policy, Axa took the bill on her not me, so my NCB was not affected. Now, if I was a named driver on her policy from when I got the provisional, why in the love of Jaysus on a bicycle is my premium so damn high?:confused: Thanks anyone who replies!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

How ya people? Right a bit of a question for all ye brainboxes out there! Im 19 end of the month. I drive a 1.4L Skoda Fabia Multi-Port Injected. Value: €3300. Axa Direct are charging me for comprehensive a huge €2300.:eek: Now as a student, thats not really economical is it? So the whole story from the beginning is... I obtained my provisional this month 2 years ago in 2007. he last July(2008) I got my full. No problem. However, in October 2008 I aquaplaned me mams car (Skoda Octavia 1.6 2005 worth €14000) and wrote it off.:( Now because I was under her policy, Axa took the bill on her not me, so my NCB was not affected. Now, if I was a named driver on her policy from when I got the provisional, why in the love of Jaysus on a bicycle is my premium so damn high?:confused: Thanks anyone who replies!

because your only 19?

I was paying more than that on a 1.25 ford fiesta at 19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

You mothers bonus was affected, but you still had the accident which means you would have to disclose that to the insurer.

Also €2300 isn't too bad for a 19 yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

I can only assume when you are looking for a quote you are correctly reporting the accident in which you were involved (and were at fault) - therefore the insurers consider you a bad risk and apply a premium loading for the claim.

The irony is that your mother will also suffer as no doubt some impact on NCB and she will potentially have some premium loading also!

Accept it, you caused €14k of damage which was fully repaid, without an insurance company backing you up you would still be paying back that loan:P

Insurance companies always get their money back!!

You need to put a car on the road with best quote you can get, try increasing the excess in event of claim to say €500, maybe discout additional covers such as breakdown and injury cover.

Company such as www.xsdirect.ie may be worth a look.

Basically you will be considered a bad risk for next couple of years until you have your own NCB.

I am sure someone will post that you do not declare the accident - well it is an option but be clear that in the event of a claim there may be an investigation and if that investigation turns up your prior named driver experience etc then your claim will be declined...do you feel lucky??

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭2Shae

your lucky you have insurance so cheap. you have a crash history even though YOU didnt claim. i also have the same issue. Irish insurance is a ripoff for any male driver under 21/23 mainly because it is soo easy to get a license here. I have since done hibernian ignition and got a good quote on a bmw 520 that no one else would even quote me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 CleoD

€2,300 for a 19 year old male on a 1.4 with a claims experience is peanuts. I've seen quotes come in for 22 year old males on 1 ltr Micra's dearer than that. Although your claim was paid out by your mothers policy, you were still the driver and are therefore a higher risk to a company then someone who hasn't crashed.

Until you turn 25 expect to pay through the nose for insurance premiums.
    Insurance premiums are based on statistics and claims paid out by the company and young male drivers are a red flag to insurers. There can even be a €100 + difference in a premium between a 40 year old male and a 40 year old female

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm willing to bet that quote was without declaring the crash history. Was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kielmanator

Hi guys! Thanks for the responses! My mother had been with AXA for so long that she got this unlimited NCB thing whereby her policy was not affected by a claim. Obviously because Im still with AXA I think they know that I had an accident?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Hi guys! Thanks for the responses! My mother had been with AXA for so long that she got this unlimited NCB thing whereby her policy was not affected by a claim. Obviously because Im still with AXA I think they know that I had an accident?
    You have to disclose the accident to any insurer. Basically, when you have a claim as a named driver it goes on record for both you and the insured. Same thing happened to me, you'll just have to pay up for the next few years. Do shop around for the lowest quote, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

2Shae wrote: »
    your lucky you have insurance so cheap. you have a crash history even though YOU didnt claim. i also have the same issue. Irish insurance is a ripoff for any male driver under 21/23 mainly because it is soo easy to get a license here. I have since done hibernian ignition and got a good quote on a bmw 520 that no one else would even quote me in.

Seems slightly unfair. A driver can own a car that has an engine 1600cc or smaller and can sit the Ignition course and then get a substantial discount on their policy and this is carried over if they change to a larger car?
    However, if you have a larger car over 1600cc you can't sit Ignition at all. :(

I can't help but chuckle at the OP. They've written off a car, under 20 and wonder why their premium is high? :)

Advertisement