Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone surf Fanore?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭

Heading to stag in Galway this weekend and I was thinking of bring the board with me and heading to Fanore on Sat to clear the head (and stay out of the pub).
    Anyone surf there or should I go further, wanted to avoid lahinch (i think) to avoid the crowds? Is it any good?

Peterd66

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Its my local, nice grovel there last night.

Good for clearing the head. Prob a bit smaller than lahinch but generally has some more push to it.

Forecast for saturday is not looking great (although its changing daily).

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

Thanks, (had to look up grovel!) Forecast is picking up for Sat so it is looking good. Anything I need to watch out for, rips, rocks etc.? I am not as good as I would like to be.:cool:

Peter

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

was in lahinch last year for a w/e
    lahinch was doing nothing on the sunday

headed up the coast and found fanore.
    beautiful sunny day, nice casual sets coming in.
    havn't had a better day out since!!

i remember the beach being a bit rocky buy the tide was out(ish) which exposed them, it seemed pretty hazard free to me, but better to hear from a local i guess!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

have been out there a few times, a small river in the middle of the beach so watch out can get a little messy coming out from it, i find it best alot of the time down at the far side of the river furthest from the lifeguard tower. Also line of pretty obvious rocks down the centre of the beach. sitting on your board looking back at the shoreline with the burren in the background is pretty class should help with clearing the head alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭OuterBombie

Good stuff,

as previously posted a river mouth and some rocks which you only need to watch out for on the high tide. The rip from the river can be an issue but its pretty obvious.

For saturday's forecasted conditions your best bet would be the left of the beach in front of the lifeguard hut. Should be 1-2ft and onshore.

Please park in a parking space and take any rubbish away with you :cool:

We've had some pile of gobsh*tes this summer intend on destroying the place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 contaeanchlair

i will obviously defer to the locals better knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fanore's a nice spot, there's not as much space/variety as Lahinch and the rides are shorter but it can be great when it's working. Beautiful place too. Works ok at low tide but perhaps you'll get a longer ride at mid-tide. Be careful at high tide, the area where you can safely surf away from rocks becomes very small. I haven't had a problem with rips there (at least not at the south/carpark end of the beach) but there can be strong currents when its windy. Hope that helps, have fun.

Advertisement