Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK street beggars earning £200 a night

Options
  • 10-08-2009 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

Forget wprking or signing on the dole here, get the boat over to the UK, sign on and earn £200 a night begging on the streets. :)

'Professional' beggars are earning up to £200 (€233) a night on British streets, it was revealed today.

Police in Leicestershire added that numbers were growing and officers had cautioned 20 people for begging in the city centre in the first two weeks of a scheme to tackle the problem.

However, today it was revealed none of them were homeless. Toni Soni, head of hostel services at Leicester City Council, said previous joint operations by them and police found no beggars to be homeless.

It would be interesting to know what these guys earn in Ireland? :confused:

http://www.dailyexpress.co.uk/posts/view/119786/Street-beggars-earning-163-200-a-night/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

€233 a night in England, pfft, beggers earn €800 a day on the streets of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭tbaymusicman

€233 a night in England, pfft, beggers earn €800 a day on the streets of Dublin.
    They do yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

All you need is a crutch and a Mc Donalds paper coffee cup. sorted. :P

dirty fake cast, eye patch, stick on sores, laze away the afternoon walking the streets and count your wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Most have better shoes than me, I even offered a trade and they wouldn't accept :(

• Advertisement

cHaTbOx wrote: »
    Most have better shoes than me, I even offered a trade and they wouldn't accept :(

200 quid a night is 1000 a week plus the dole and accom, what do they do with all this money? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

Drugs I'd imagine.

200 quid a night is 1000 a week, what do they do with all this money? :confused:
    There were 7 days in the last week I counted....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There were 7 days in the last week I counted....:D

Bums rest at weekends, not like the working class plebs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Thankfully, with those earnings, they can afford luxury four-ply jacks roll to wipe their arses, and not rely on copies of the Daily Express.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Whenever those Roma beggars walk over to me in Burger King I always hand them a 1 cent coin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

stovelid wrote: »
    Thankfully, with those earnings, they can afford luxury four-ply jacks roll to wipe their arses, and not rely on copies of the Daily Express.

Four ply:eek:

Where can you get that good baby??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Nolanger wrote: »
    Whenever those Roma beggars walk over to me in Burger King I always hand them a 1 cent coin.

Thats 1 cent too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

**** this i'm becoming a beggar

not spending a cent on booze or drugs, all going straight into an offshore bank account earning interest after a year or 2 of sitting on the street i'm building a massive house on some island, getting a bitchin fast speedboat and living the good life off the interest

actually a lot of beggars down in cork are not too badly off, got a decent enough house and everything. begging is just another way of making money but a city can only support so many beggars before it stops being worthwhile for casual beggars who are not that badly off

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Overflow wrote: »
    Thats 1 cent too much.

A photocopied 50 is usually good for a snigger too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

cHaTbOx wrote: »

Why would they trade good shoes for bad ones?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Given that this report is in the Daily Express I'm inclined to eh....... not believe it.

Thanks very much. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Barely ever see beggars here tbh.

Saw loads in Dublin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Four ply:eek:

Where can you get that good baby??

Actually, I was being hyperbolic, and assumed you could just cheat with fold-over 2-ply but on further inspection, I unearthed this.

Made from silky soft eucalyptus fibres, no less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭waitinforatrain

Indeed, talked to a guy before in Galway who's strategy was "excuse me, could you spare any change?", "No sorry", "alright very sorry to bother you". He told me he makes about €180 in a few hours around Eyre Square.

He also told me he manages to spend it all on drink and drinks a bottle of vodka before getting outta bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They'd get nothing here.
    People here are too tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

200 quid a night is 1000 a week plus the dole and accom, what do they do with all this money? :confused:

Yeah but most of that is eaten away in taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Given that this report is in the Daily Express I'm inclined to eh....... not believe it.

Thanks very much. :)

Absolutely; its even less reliable than the Daily Mail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

anyone remember the AK phone show on FM104(dubs only) about "professional" beggers in Dublin city a few years back??
    A lad rang in and claimed he was making 2-300 euro per day, begging on the street. Adrian tought he was full of crap so he sent his reseacher jeremy out on the street to find out. he dressed in raggy clothes and went begging for a few hours and made almost 100euro in those few hours so not hard to belive that thier are people who are not homeless making a healthy living from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Been working as a chugger. The ones who stand outside supermarkets with a cup don't make much from my observations.

I'd say the ones who come up to you with veiled threat begspeak asking for a euro for their hostel make a fortune. If you feel too awkward to say no talk in another language and they f*ck off immediately(a sure sign to me they're using a marketing trick)

Been working as a chugger. The ones who stand outside supermarkets with a cup don't make much from my observations.
    The ones that hang around the Luas ticket dispensers that "offer you a service" by having change or showing those how to use the machines or helping you to board a tram seem to be doing quite well with "tips".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

The ones that hang around the Luas ticket dispensers that "offer you a service" by having change or showing those how to use the machines or helping you to board a tram seem to be doing quite well with "tips".

The well dressed ones around the leinster house area do quite well ,i heard they manage to bag about €40 million a day,when they actually turn up;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Forget wprking or signing on the dole here, get the boat over to the UK, sign on and earn £200 a night begging on the streets. :)

How much would you want to do what they do?

Anyway, if your going by a report in The Express your not gonna read articles revealing ground breaking research and project development in an attempt to proactively resolve issues such as street begging now are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

I seen a ''beggar'' texting on an iPhone on Grafton Street before!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

He also told me he manages to spend it all on drink and drinks a bottle of vodka before getting outta bed.

Jasus - the life of reilly he has..

Advertisement