Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSc in Information Technology Management

Options
  • 10-08-2009 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anybody study MSc in Information Technology Management in ITT (postgraduate - part time). Could you please share your opinions about this programme? Is it very hard to finish? How does the study looks like?
    Another thing is that I'm not native English speaker (as you can see here ;P) and I wonder... will I manage???!! ;)

Any info appreciated!

cheerzzz
    aFri

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Hey,

I'm currently finishing the Honours Bachelor Degree in IT Management - you will most likely have the majority of lecturers I have and I can tell you that the majority of the lecturers are top class. Obviously one or two duds but a bit of extra study in their lectures and you are fine.

The degree can be very boring at times and so I can assume that the masters would be too.

We have to do a good bit of study to do well in it so you will probably have to do similiar (usually an hour or two a day to catch up on the in-class practicals). If you do the work that the lecturers give you, you will find that you will barely have to study it to remember it and that is a major plus about the course.

Hope this helps. I'll try help you more if you have any more questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭africates

Thanks for reply Teferi!
    Do you know how the part-time study looks like? Are there lectures only.. or some labs.. exercises.. etc. as well? :)
    I wonder if this programme is right one for me... I have MSc in Computer Science (spec Computer Networks). I'd like to develop a bit and learn something new... what do you think?
    I've heard that ITT created some 'class' or sth like that, to help non-native english speakers to develop in academic english... and to help write the dissertation in english.. do you know sth about this?

thanks very much for info!!!
    aFri

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

africates wrote: »
    Thanks for reply Teferi!
    Do you know how the part-time study looks like? Are there lectures only.. or some labs.. exercises.. etc. as well? :)

I wouldn't really know what the part time timetable would look like I can tell you though, that the would be a good mix of lectures and labs. ITT puts a lot on practical work.
    I wonder if this programme is right one for me... I have MSc in Computer Science (spec Computer Networks). I'd like to develop a bit and learn something new... what do you think?

Well the masters that ITT push a lot would be the M.Sc in Distributed and Mobile Computing. It is very good from all accounts.
    I've heard that ITT created some 'class' or sth like that, to help non-native english speakers to develop in academic english... and to help write the dissertation in english.. do you know sth about this?

thanks very much for info!!!
    aFri

I wouldn't have a clue about non-native english help unfortunately. Emails or information about that kind of thing would be unlikely to come across my way. You could try ringing into the college and asking? They'd be very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭conor_mc

Africates, they do the class(es?) in academic English you mention - my advice would be to contact the Lifelong Learning dept through the email address on the website.

I'm afraid I can't comment on this course for you though - I've just finished the ord degree in Technology Management and am considering moving over to the hons degree in IT Management, which is a bit more relevant for me personally.

My general view of the college is that it is quite good for the most part.

EDIT to add - I think this masters course is new btw, I certainly don't recall the hons IT Mgmt degree being available last year when I was looking, although that could've been because I wouldn't have qualified for it without an ordinary degree so I might not have paid attention to it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Conor, did you do your BA part or full time?

• Advertisement

Part-time helimachoptor. Did it in the one year, which basically takes over your life outside of work!!!

Can't complain though, that's one of the reasons I went for that course - a degree in one year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

conor_mc wrote: »
    Part-time helimachoptor. Did it in the one year, which basically takes over your life outside of work!!!

Can't complain though, that's one of the reasons I went for that course - a degree in one year.

Yeah I'm down to do the BSc, already have a degree but don't want to shell out for a smurfit masters but I may do the BA so I don't have to do a thesis.

How did you find it?

Good, I'm happy I've done it.

I work in IT and have been managing a team now for 18 months or so. I've never been to third level but didn't want to do 3/4 years from scratch, so the course suited me perfectly like that.

The course content is pretty good - it's not IT based, and has a strong leaning towards manufacturing technology as you can see from the subjects. That's not necessarily a bad thing though, and alot of what is demonstrated with manufacturing examples can be translated to services/IT with a bit of thought. There's maybe a slight disadvantage though for your assignments if you're in the service sector, but that's a debatable point.

In work, I'm finding it useful in that I think more like a manager (thinking about processes, projects, etc) rather than a senior techie now.

It doesn't have the kudos of a smurfit masters but if you're like me and need it for your job (rather than just the letters after the name) then it's a good course at a reasonable cost.

I'm even thinking of going back for the BSc, either in TEch Mgmt or IT Mgmt if they let me transfer across. That's a fair endorsement I guess.

Cheers Conor a good answer there, thanks for getting back to me!
    Lets just hope I get accepted now..
    do you recall when you got the green light for it last year?

Cheers Conor a good answer there, thanks for getting back to me!
    Lets just hope I get accepted now..
    do you recall when you got the green light for it last year?

It was late enough heli, maybe a week or two before the course started.

Tbh, I only had a BCS cert (like year 1 of a degree) and experience (10 years) to apply with, so I'd say if you already have a degree and you're working in technology/management, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement