Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can my pup be in heat again after only three months?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭

My Cavalier pup is 9.5 months old and came into heat for the first time a week before she turned 6 months. It last for three weeks and all was straight-forward.

This morning, she was sitting on a bed and I noticed a drop of blood when she moved so had a look to see if it was from her but no, she was clean and no signs of bleeding.

She's been very lethargic all day but had a very, very active weekend and she's still quite young and, well, a Cav so I wasn't taking much notice of her being curled up on the couch for most of the day. I've noticed her licking herself there and her genitals area is very swollen and very pink looking but she doesn't seem to be in pain, just licking a bit more than normal.

I'm going to check with my vet in the morning but it really looks like she's in the first stages of a heat cycle again.

Is it possible that she could be in heat again so soon?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

TBH I'm not 100% sure, usually it's every 6-8months I had thought. But then again dogs can differ. She didn't hurt herself or anything?
    You're bringing her to the vet anyway so at least you'll get a definitive answer there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Sometimes if there's a vitamin or mineral deficiency in the diet, bitches can go in heat more frequently than normal. Or sometimes bitches can just come in heat more frequently than others.

Might be an idea to get her checked out just incase it's something else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

This can happen alright, usually one of the heats will only last about a week so if it lasted 3 weeks before this time may be a bit shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Could be heat or could be an infection perhaps take a trip to the vets to rule out anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Thanks everyone.

Going to get her checked out tomorrow just to be on the safe side. She's definitely not in pain or anything- she's bouncing around the place all evening, tail wagging and getting up to all sorts so that's a good sign.

Just had a little look at her "bits" there and I think it's definitely another heat cycle. I remember the last time, there were three stages- 1) Swelling, 2) Light discharge, 3) Bleeding spread across about two days and, from what I can see, the swelling started today and there's a tiny bit of bloody discharge now.

Hopefully, it's nothing to worry about but we'll see tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Just updating this for reference, in case anybody else is searching for a similar query.

Yup, she's in heat again! Vet said it's not the norm but isn't unusual and is just one of those things. I need to keep an eye on her to see if her cycle regulates to 6-8 months gaps, which is the ideal. The vet reckons that this heat will be quite "light" and she's also more used to keeping herself clean now which explains why there wasn't much visible, compared to last time and it wasn't as easy for me to know she was definitely in heat rather than a urinary infection or similar.

Other than that, she got a full check-up and is fine. She's still free from signs of Syringomyelia so hopefully that won't rear its nasty head at any time for her.

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Advertisement