Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing reel on recurve

Options
  • 10-08-2009 4:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Really new to archery and just bought a petron recurve (Check out the link, its the first bow you see)

http://www.petron.info/web-content/p4takedownbows.html

Anyway just wondering can this bow take a bow reel for fishing..? I have seen alot of reels knocking about but they're all on compounds. Can anyone recommend a **decent** (cost isnt an issue either) reel that will fit on that bow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

is bow fishing allowed in ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

Hi Lapses,

Welcome to the sport.

To be honest, I'm not sure you will find many bow-fishers in Ireland, I've been involved in Irish archery for over 10 years (tempus fugit :rolleyes:) and have yet to find someone with the gear.

Bow hunting is illegal in Ireland, where fishing comes into that I'm not so sure. I'd recommend you check out the legislation on this before pumping money into a reel in case it turns out out be illegal .......... is fishing hunting? Not so sure, but have a look.

Have fun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if it is hunting => illegal how far out do i go before its no longer an issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Tigger wrote: »
    if it is hunting => illegal how far out do i go before its no longer an issue?

International waters - but good luck finding anything to hunt out there!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 abusingelves

Funny story..........

That's a really interesting point, ' how far out do I have to go?'

Would it be the 200mile international limit or the far more accessible 6 mile Irish limit? Once you're in european waters I presume you're governed by european law (and maritime/fisheries law). Will have to put this to some friends who are in the business.

As for what you can hunt out there, it would be fairly limited.
    Tuna: tend to go way too fast to track, especially with a bow.You're also unlikely to ever see them as they will not swim close enough to the surface for you to see, when a boat is close.
    Sunfish: You'd hardly call this hunting, as they float broadside on the surface.
    Whales and Dolphins: Illegal.
    and that pretty much covers all you'll see between 6 and 200+ miles offshore.

Anywho, if you want to hunt fish, your best bet would be a speargun.

Another point to not is that it is illegal to spear any fish in fresh water in ireland. I presume this includes arrows, and i presume the fisheries officers would presume this too. Worth maybe emailing them to be certain.

This leaves you with two options (as far as i can see)
    1) Fishing on the coast, with your main quarry being mullet. This I could see being successful, but would involve a lot of standing still on a rock.
    2) If its fish you're really after, take my advice and go for the speargun, making many species available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement