Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Modified Car Insurance

Options
  • 10-08-2009 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

I know this subject has probably been discussed to death in various threads but i found it interesting that my insurance company won't insure a car that has any kind of engine modification. It's only recently that i've considered buying a modified car and i was a little shocked that Hibernian said 'No'. I'm 28, have a clean licence (never had a conviction) for over 10 years and a no-claim bonus under my own policy for about 7 years. I'm all clean!

Are all those boy-racers out there keeping their insurance companies in the dark regarding their car modifications or do they use a particular insurance company??

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

most of the time, cars are bought and insured standard, then you do the mods, get an engineers inspection to say its road worthy or similar as required by the insurance company and then you pay the extra amount.

your best bet would be to ring your existing company and tell them you are thinking of doing various changes and you want a quote for the increase.

also depends on what you class as modified. what kind of car are you looking at andhave you any links to the car in question or a list of the mods done to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Just out of interest, what kind of mod's does the engine have?

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

i've been looking at a number of cars at the moment and rang them as a general enquiry. I mentioned engine conversion (an increase from 2.0l to 2.5l for example) and he said staight away that they don't insure cars that have had engine conversions. i also mentioned chipping but he didn't seem to care as much about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

An engine conversion is pretty major, you'll have trouble getting insurance and it won't be cheap when you do.

Other performance mods should be ok though.

If you're buying a car with a view to doing an engine swap right away then it'd be much cheaper to buy one that's fully/partly completed.

Yes, you wouldn't get to do the build yourself but I think its more fun to be tearing around the place than stuck in an engine bay personally.

Advertisement