Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debenhams' store card -late payment

Options
  • 10-08-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,

I used Debenhams' card for 87euro, and I only paid it after 3 days of the the due date.
    Then, I got 15.24 euor late payment charge which is 18% of the amount I used and 1.81 euro interest as well.
    According to the customer desk, late payment charge is a fixed late, so no matter what the amount I used, they charge me 15.24 euro if the payment was delaied, and its written clearly on the terms and conditions.

Its my fault that I could not make the due date and read carefully throught the terms and conditions. But I feel this is ridiculously expensive.

Is this charge legaly appropreate? If not, is there any way to avoid paying this?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dotty dino wrote: »
    Is this charge legaly appropreate? If not, is there any way to avoid paying this?

Doesn't matter, and no. They can charge a billion euro for late payment if they want, as long as people agree to the terms when they sign up, they're obliged to pay the fees. Of course for a ridiculous amount like a billion euro, you could contest it, but how is 15 euro in any way excessive for late payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Lesson = Dont use store cards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That's what happens when you don't pay your bills.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Does it mention that charge in the T&C?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

razorblunt wrote: »
    Does it mention that charge in the T&C?

Dotty dino wrote: »
    Hello,

I used Debenhams' card for 87euro, and I only paid it after 3 days of the the due date.
    Then, I got 15.24 euor late payment charge which is 18% of the amount I used and 1.81 euro interest as well.
    According to the customer desk, late payment charge is a fixed late, so no matter what the amount I used, they charge me 15.24 euro if the payment was delaied, and its written clearly on the terms and conditions.

Its my fault that I could not make the due date and read carefully throught the terms and conditions. But I feel this is ridiculously expensive.

Thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Why are you even using a store card?! The APR on those thing is like 30%! Get a credit card. If your credit rating is good enough to get a store card you should have no problem getting a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Dotty dino

Hi everyone,

Thank you very much for the posts. So, sounds like my idea is totally wrong..
    As I've never been charged late payment charge but just interest when I over dued credit card payment (it's not in Ireland), I was very uncomfortable with it. But it's quit reasonable in here, isn’t it.

However, I found this page. This might not useful as it's UK's and old topic.
    http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/other-institutions-successes/69425-mrs-thfc4ever-debenhams-ge.html

Last of all,
    >That's what happens when you don't pay your bills.

I DID pay the bill but its 3 days after the due date.
    Nobody's perfect.

I've cut the card already, so I'm not gonna use it any more. Yes, this is a good lesson. I haven't checked terms and conditions yet, I'll read it. I made a card as I thought it's just a store card like Tesco card. Did not know it has credit card function until I submit that at the till. The stuff who made my card had strong English accent, to me, it was hard to understand what she explained..

Seems like I need more lessons -English!!

Thanks again, all.
    XX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Hard Luck Dotty Dino-

while a lot of posters may have known this, a lot of consumers don't- late payment charges don't just apply to store cards either- they also apply to certain Bank credit cards- especially those without a retail high-street presence, so if thinking of replacing your store card with a normal credit card, make sure you do your research first- some charge, some don't- btw- thanks for posting this- the message of 'late payment' charges on credit/charge cards is a continual trap for many unsuspecting consumers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Ditty - Do me a favour, cut it up that card and do it NOW !!!!!! I had an awful time with this shower to the point where I was reduced to tears. GE Money is the crowd that deal with Debenhams. They made a mess of my account and it took me months to get it sorted. I had to send several letters to managers before I got anywhere it's not worth it they charge a fortune in interest. Take my advice and cut it up while your balance is still small

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Danniboo

Sorry just seen you've already cut the card. Good for you wish i'd been so lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ziltwo

Danniboo wrote: »
    Ditty - Do me a favour, cut it up that card and do it NOW !!!!!! I had an awful time with this shower to the point where I was reduced to tears. GE Money is the crowd that deal with Debenhams. They made a mess of my account and it took me months to get it sorted. I had to send several letters to managers before I got anywhere it's not worth it they charge a fortune in interest. Take my advice and cut it up while your balance is still small

yes indeed I had a terrible experience with this card as well, I paid with cheque and they claimed they never got it, charged me late payment and they reported me to ICB so this will effect my credit rating. I fought it so hard, sent lots of letters to GE Money ; rang them ; and yes got it sorted, got them to reverse my late payment to ICB. I NEVER USED THE CARD AGAIN.. A SHOWER OF B*****D:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

good old necro - zombie thread at its finest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Max Power1 wrote: »
    good old necro - zombie thread at its finest

maybe eventually people will get the message

DEBENHAMS ARE AN OVERPRICED STORE THAT SELLS AT AN AVERAGE OF 20% ABOVE INDEPENDENT IRISH STORES FOR THE SAME PRODUCT.

DEBENHAMS STORE CARDS CHARGE 29.9% INTEREST AND HAVE RIDICULOUS CHARGES ONCE YOU DO NOT ADHERE 100% TO THEIR RULES.

AVOID DEBENHAMS

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Debs do a store card and a credit card, make sure you send a letter to them (GE money) cancelling the account of you could be hit with the annual bank card tax next year. If it is a credit card you have ( can you use it anywhere else?) you could be liable for this charge on closure of the account.

Just another thing they don't tell you when they are offering you 10% off for using their card!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Related to financial matters - moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement