Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

CATALYTIC CONVERTER- DEALER'S WARRANTY

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

So, I bought a car from a main Dublin Dealer last year. I was offered a one years warranty with it and I took it. The sales rep said "if anything goes in the car we'll look after it, under the warranty". I then signed a receipt which simply said "1 years warranty".

Ever since I've had a lot of minor issues with the car, which I've had to bring down to the garage around 8-10 times over the last 10 months. The car is still in warranty.

2 days ago a light came on and it had to do with emissions, according to my driver's manual. I handed the car in today and they said that it was the catalytic converter and ITS NOT covered under my warranty. The cost would be roughly €750 for a new one installed or around €350 to get it fixed. Tbh I'm furious that I have to pay for it. I was just told "1 years warranty" and thats what it said on my receipt, there were no clauses to the warranty and I was never informed.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

What car is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

It's an mk4 vw polo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was it the garage who sold you the car that qouted 750/350?
    How do they plan on fixing it?
    Anyhow, I would take that as nothing isv specified or excluded then the entire car is covered undef the warranty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

The cat will wear out over time. It's a bit like the clutch - use it and you'll wear it out eventually. The difference is that the cat is susceptible to spiking etc and could have been wrecked though driving style. Unlikely I know but it's probably the line the dealer is taking. It is taking the p!ss though.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭plastic-man

Yep, it was the garage who sold the car to me who quoted that price! I am aware it eventually wears down, but I wouldn't think it's meant to go/be replaced after only 40,000?

I found the full receipt from the garage earlier. All it says is "one years warranty", nothing else was specified!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't think it's meant to go/be replaced after only 40,000?

You're right there! Ask them why it's not covered and if you don't get a reasonable answer contact SIMI, although they might not do anything.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Confab wrote: »
    You're right there! Ask them why it's not covered and if you don't get a reasonable answer contact SIMI, although they might not do anything.
    might?
    SIMI pfft :rolleyes:

kbannon wrote: »
    might?
    SIMI pfft :rolleyes:

I know, but the Small Claims Court probably couldn't do anything. A solictor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,883 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Yep, it was the garage who sold the car to me who quoted that price! I am aware it eventually wears down, but I wouldn't think it's meant to go/be replaced after only 40,000?

I found the full receipt from the garage earlier. All it says is "one years warranty", nothing else was specified!

Cat's can be killed by driving through floods and numerous other ways. Milage doesn't have anything to do with it, driving style and conditions are what determines how long a consumable part will last.

When parts have recommended replacement times that's just an number the manufacture picks that is less then most fails, but parts can still fail before time.

Your best bet is to get back onto the garage and insist on them fixing it, but I doubt you'll get much joy as all warranties don't cover consumables, and when they say no offer to split the bill as they didn't define on the reciept what's in or out of the warranty. Otherwise go to the SCC as it'll only cost €15.

Advertisement