Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about copyright (on youtube and websites)

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Dont know if this is the right place to ask but i will ask here :)

Ive recently been looking into making a website and creating videos for the youtube partners program.

I have two qeustions :)
    1, There are some things I dont get about the youtube partnership program. Mainly that everything has to be original content but youtube channels like Machinima ( http://www.youtube.com/user/machinima ) have video game content that is obviously copyright but yet they are a partner? .. how is that? ... while other youtube channels like Screwattack ( http://www.youtube.com/screwattack ) appear not to be youtube partners?
    basically, the question i ask is can video game content be used as a youtube partner? (in terms of reviews, features, previews, walkthroughs etc - content that you would create but of a copyrighted material)

and 2,
    whats the copyright issue of having video game content, or even movie content on a website? (again like reviews, features etc)

thanks for your time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Any ideas? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭_ZeeK_

There are certain exceptions to copyright.. one such exception is a defence of 'fair use'. This permits you to use a portion of another's work for the purposes of private research/study, reporting of current events, criticism/review.

It could be argued that using a video with snippets of a game or a movie for the purpose of criticism or review is a legitimate use.

Just be sure that the main reason people are viewing the videos, or that the motivation for you providing this content, is for your review / critique and not to get a spoiler of the work.

Advertisement