Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on a dog for my parents

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

some advice would be appreciated. my brother sister and i are going to buy a puppy as a present for my parents. our golden lab jess died 2 years ago and they have missed her dearly ever since, also my sister and brother are going to be moving abroad for 6-12 months and would like to get them a new family member to keep them company.

they both love dogs and it will be very well cared for, however dad works 5 days a week and mom comes and goes most days. They have a large garden and garage with a doggy room!

what we are wondering is what breed would suit them best, while they would love another lab or retriever, mum has often said she would rather a smaller dog next time (if they ever need to bring her anywhere etc).

My first thought was a cocker spaniel, it would need to be a characterful dog that loves people but can handle being along some days for 5-6 hours, however some things i have read seems to suggest cockers can be tempremental?

what would people suggest, would a cocker be suitable or is there a similar sized dog more suitable?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the most loved dogs in the UK is now the staffie , its the dog for everyone ,it dosent need a lot of exercise/but can walk for ever if needed/very loving to everyone/has few health issues,but not a very good guard dog as it will always greet everyone who comes to the door.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

+1 on the staff. :D great little dogs.

Maybe if you told us a bit more about your parents, like are they active, could they keep up with a high energy dog or would they be better with a lazy breed (like a greyhound or whippet). Are there certain activities they do or places they like to go, if they are avid hill walkers, a dog who is light on his feet and fit as a fiddle would be perfect or if they love rivers/lakes/the sea then a breed who loves water would be very entertaining. :)

I'm so sorry to be a pain in the ass about this, but please don't suprise your parents with an animal unless you are 110% sure they would want one. I recently saw a CKC in awful condition. Someone had bought it as a gift for her mother and was sure she would love it. I'd just be worried that if your parents wanted another dog, they could easily have gotten one by now. Maybe they haven't for a reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

How about rescuing a retired greyhound?

Enjoys a nice long walk and then will happily curl up on an armchair and sleep for the rest of the day. Really doesn't need as much excerise as you'd think they do. Easy to maintain coat, very affectionate and loyal and in-line size-wise with the kinds of breeds you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Personally, I don't like Cockers, and I have plenty of experience of them. They can be extremely highly strung and very quick to bite. I'm not saying they're all like that, some, particularly the Blue Roans for some reason, can be very sweet affectionate dogs, but on the whole, I wouldn't recommend them.
    Call me biased, but have you ever considered a greyhound as a pet? There are hundreds in shelters around the country and one may suit an older couple perfectly. They're extremely gentle, quiet animals in the house, don't shed much, shed very little, are great walkers, but yet don't need excessive amounts. I have two myself, and I'll never have another breed! You won't be able to get a puppy, but most are retired at 2 or 3 years, some as early as 18 months, and they are relatively long lived dogs for their size.
    They're very tall dogs, but don't have the presence of other big dogs as they're so skinny.
    My two are fantastic, people are amazed at their gentleness and affection when they come over, yet they have a divilment side too, they do love to play but won't expect you to stand in the garden for two hours throwing a tennis ball either...
    Unfortunately you'll probably be inundated with breed suggestions here as everyone thinks their own dog is best, but please please just look at these guys twice, they just need a chance to show everyone how fabulous they really are!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,741 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

my parents are relatively young, ie in their mid 50s, so they are as active as i am!

I couldnt see them liking staffys or greyhounds (altho i have heard greyhounds are super pets, i just dont think they would want one)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I don't think that giving a dog as a (surprise) present is a particularly good idea.

While your parents say that they love dogs and miss their old one, it needn't necessarily mean that they definetly want a new one. You never know ...with all the kids out of the house, they might have plans for their future freedom that doesn't necessarily include yet another being that they have to make time for.

Also having a dog is a long term committment. I for one would like to have some say in choosing the kind of dog that I'm supposed to commit myself to...not just any old doggy that my kids buy me as a present.

What I'm trying to say is ...talk to your parents first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Niall1975

I would recommend a west highland terrier, i got a male pup for my parents last christmas and they love him. Charlie is his name, he is spoilt rotten. He gets a biscuit before bedtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

My parents are both in the late 50's and recently got a Miniature Schnauzer. They don't shed at all, are extremely intelligent and friendly, and they aren't that big or demanding with walks (although they obviously love them!).

My parents are absolutely besotted, as is anyone else who meets the latest addition to the family :)

Goodluck with your decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I don't think giving a pup as a present is a good idea either. If they want another dog then please let them choose the one they want at their own pace.

peasant wrote: »
    I don't think that giving a dog as a (surprise) present is a particularly good idea.

While your parents say that they love dogs and miss their old one, it mustn't necessarily mean that they definetly want a new one. You never know ...with all the kids out of the house, they might have plans for their future freedom that doesn't necessarily include yet another being that they have to make time for.

Also having a dog is a long term committment. I for one would like to have some say in choosing the kind of dog that I'm supposed to commit myself to...not just any old doggy that my kids buy me as a present.

What I'm trying to say is ...talk to your parents first.

er the kids have been out of the house for a good 13 years now ( we all went to boarding school, my sister at 25 is the youngest).

the cocker spaniel idea was based on comments my mum has seen when she sees one,

i know this might sound stupid but if we say to them we are going to buy them a dog, they might say no, but they would be delighted to have one,

jess was the centre of their lives and they are noticeably lonlier at home ever since she passed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I had presumed that the OP was buying the dog for the parents and they wanted it, if its an actual 'surprise' present, then not a good idea at all!!! Like peasant said, when I get a dog to invest all of my time in, I want the dog I pick out!!
    Chat to your folks, get them to pick out a dog, (rescue or otherwise) and then pay for it / pick it up for them when they have made their own choice. You never know, they might even want a greyhound ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

So is there a reason that they haven't gotten another? I'm sure they can get one themselves if they want one.

My friend had always admired Bichons and had alot of experience with dogs but didn't think the time was right to get a pup. Imagine her dismay when her brothers and sisters foisted an 8 week old puppy on her at Christmas. Of course she had to smile and pretend to be happy and she does love the little one to bits but she'd always planned to wait until she retired to get another dog, when she'd have time to train it properly and not have to rush home on her lunch hour. Now she's happy to have the dog and all but really she wasn't prepared for it, was very angry for the first few months but of course couldn't say anything as she didn't want to hurt anyones feelings and you can't exactly wrap a pup back up and send it back now can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭li-evo7

Jack russels are great little dogs.They are affectionate,active and you can leave them alone for hours.Great little guard dogs too.My first dog was an orange roan cocker spaniel and I loved her to bits.She was the greatest dog. So playful and affectionate and not a bad bone in her body.I will probably get another one at some stage but have two labradors at the moment.Shih tzu's are also lovely dogs to keep.They only need moderate exercise but they need to be groomed very regularly.I would also recommend a cavalier king charles or a maltese.They are lovely dogs.

Also you should get onto the guide dogs.They sometimes have 'reject' dogs.They are fully trained but in some way are unsuitable to work as guide dogs.I got my labrador from them. She was distracted too easily to work and she is a lovely pet and she came fully trained as they keep them and train them til they are 18months.It is worth a try ringing them even if you have to be put on a waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

I agree about the jack russell, we have two and they're very affectionate and loyal. They're a great size, good guards, need a decent amount of excercise. I'd recommend them to anyone, not great with young children though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

Like the previous poster mentioned, Cavalier King Charles dogs are great. They've a great temperament with people and are really gentle. When my granny was getting old and couldn't manage a big or active dog, our ckc was fantastic with her.

One downside is that they don't have muh traffic sense, so if your parents live close to the road a good fence would be an idea.

You know your parents better than anyone posting here, so you'll have a good idea what would suit them best. Also, I don't think it's really fair to have people discouraging you from getting them a dog for company. Yes, there are awful cases which have been highlighted, but it's not the case for everyone. When my dog died, I couldn't bear to replace her. However, when one of my family member's farm dogs adopted me (they have a farm next door) I realised how much I'd missed having a dog around and was delighted to have him take over the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

convert wrote: »

One downside is that they don't have muh traffic sense, so if your parents live close to the road a good fence would be an idea.
    Yes a secure garden is very important no matter what the breed.
    convert wrote: »
    You know your parents better than anyone posting here, so you'll have a good idea what would suit them best. Also, I don't think it's really fair to have people discouraging you from getting them a dog for company. Yes, there are awful cases which have been highlighted, but it's not the case for everyone. When my dog died, I couldn't bear to replace her. However, when one of my family member's farm dogs adopted me (they have a farm next door) I realised how much I'd missed having a dog around and was delighted to have him take over the house!
    Giving a pet as a suprise gift is usually a bad idea. No rescue will home a suprise, anybody involved in rescue will discourage it. Good breeders will insist on meeting potential owners. All in all, responsible people who have the dogs best interests at heart will all discourage suprise gifts. Sure there's an ad campaign every christmas, that is how much of a problem gifted pets are. Of course the OP knows his/her parents better than anyone here, but as other people besides myself said, maybe they have decided not to get a dog for a reason. On the other hand, maybe they would just love one, but how is OP to know without discussing it. It's great it worked out for you, but it's slightly irresponsible to encourge someone to give animals as gifts based on just your story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

OP, whiI think it's lovely that you and your siblings want to do something nice for your parents, I'm in the it's-not-a-great-idea camp.

My in-laws adore our dog. They look after her whenever we're on holiday or if there's somewhere we're going that'd mean she's cooped-up on her own for too long. They take brilliant care of her and she absolutely loves going to their place- as soon as we get to their road, she goes nuts in the car with excitement. They're not elderly so manage perfectly with walks and playtime and they're ideal candidates for a dog of their own. In fact, they've had dogs over the years who all lived to ripe-old ages and were very well cared for and loved to bits.

My mother-in-law is retired and has loads of time and energy to devote to a dog. I'm constantly telling them that they should get a dog, even offering to get one of our dog's littermates for them but the answer is always a resounding no. What it boils down to is that they enjoy their independence and not having to be tied-down in any way- vet bills, constantly hairy car interior, training classes etc. They like their life as it is and, while they love having our dog on the occasional weekend, they just don't want the responsibility on having one of their own.

At the end of the day, your parents are adults and, if they wanted a dog, they have the ability and the means to get one themselves if they wanted to.

By all means, say it to them and get them a dog if they want it but don't just land one on their laps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭messygirl

my neighbours got their parents a dog when everyone left the house, no offence to them but the dog always looks miserable, bored, lonely, etc.

Saying that when my boyf left to work in another country he left the dog with his parents and they love him! He is the family dog now, and its hard to imagine life without him. saying that they have a farm and other dogs for company and they are always in the house really.

Maybe as a surprise give them an envelope with the name and number of a breeder and a picture of the puppies available and then take them on a trip and let them pick out one. It;s still a surprise but they can have a think about it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    Chat to your folks, get them to pick out a dog, (rescue or otherwise) and then pay for it / pick it up for them when they have made their own choice.

+1

Its a lovely idea. But I think those who will care for the dog should select him/her. It helps form a bond between owner and dog, imo.

yep point taken everyone, will consult them first :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

messygirl wrote: »

Maybe as a surprise give them an envelope with the name and number of a breeder and a picture of the puppies available and then take them on a trip and let them pick out one. It;s still a surprise but they can have a think about it too.

Now that's a good idea.

You would need to give the breeder a deposit which you could lose if it doesn't work out but that's better than you're parents being stuck with a dog they feel obliged to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Cyrus wrote: »
    Hi all,

some advice would be appreciated. my brother sister and i are going to buy a puppy as a present for my parents. our golden lab jess died 2 years ago and they have missed her dearly ever since, also my sister and brother are going to be moving abroad for 6-12 months and would like to get them a new family member to keep them company.

they both love dogs and it will be very well cared for, however dad works 5 days a week and mom comes and goes most days. They have a large garden and garage with a doggy room!

what we are wondering is what breed would suit them best, while they would love another lab or retriever, mum has often said she would rather a smaller dog next time (if they ever need to bring her anywhere etc).

My first thought was a cocker spaniel, it would need to be a characterful dog that loves people but can handle being along some days for 5-6 hours, however some things i have read seems to suggest cockers can be tempremental?

what would people suggest, would a cocker be suitable or is there a similar sized dog more suitable?

I've a cocker and they are a great little dog. I know someone above said they can be temperamental and I have been told that but mine is very gentle, even with young kids. She's a Blue Roan.

If anything, her only fault is that she gets excited and tends to jump up on people when a group are around her. Although I'm training her out of this.

I find Cockers to be great dogs. I've only had experience of my own but she's always ready for a walk or game of fetch and loves swimming too. Its great to see the exercise she can get going into the water over and over again. She loves it.

She's also quiet in the evenings and is happy to sit in her bed and relax after playing in the garden for the day. She is left alone from 8 to half 4 most days but has the run of the garden. Even if I leave the front gate open though, she won't leave the house area unless one of us is with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lin lin

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    I had presumed that the OP was buying the dog for the parents and they wanted it, if its an actual 'surprise' present, then not a good idea at all!!! Like peasant said, when I get a dog to invest all of my time in, I want the dog I pick out!!
    Chat to your folks, get them to pick out a dog, (rescue or otherwise) and then pay for it / pick it up for them when they have made their own choice. You never know, they might even want a greyhound ;)
    +1

if you're looking to give your parents a surprise gift, i think it would be a nice idea to bring your parents on a surprise visit to the shelter, just load them into the car and then tel them you want to get them a dog and all that, and then you can donate something to the shelter, if they find a dog there that they want.

or alternatively if you don't like the idea of a rescue dog, figure out what kind of breed your parents would prefer, and find a breeder that has/ will have pups, and go and visit them, and then your parents can decide. at least it'll be a nice day out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Lemlin wrote: »
    I've a cocker and they are a great little dog. I know someone above said they can be temperamental and I have been told that but mine is very gentle, even with young kids. She's a Blue Roan.

If anything, her only fault is that she gets excited and tends to jump up on people when a group are around her. Although I'm training her out of this.

I find Cockers to be great dogs. I've only had experience of my own but she's always ready for a walk or game of fetch and loves swimming too. Its great to see the exercise she can get going into the water over and over again. She loves it.

She's also quiet in the evenings and is happy to sit in her bed and relax after playing in the garden for the day. She is left alone from 8 to half 4 most days but has the run of the garden. Even if I leave the front gate open though, she won't leave the house area unless one of us is with her.

Cyrus,

I agree with Lemlin. Cockers are great pets! I have 2 blue roans and they are great dogs. Up for long walks but at the same time will lay about for the rest of the day. I am at home most of day but I have often left them on their own for 8 hours without any problems.

They are very friendly dogs, gentle, and loyal. If your parents are more used to bigger dogs downsizing to a medium sized dog like a cocker would be the way to go. Blue roans look great and I am always stopped when out walking with people admiring them.

If you interested go the IKC website and there are 3/4 cocker spaniel societies that will put you in touch with breeders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

getz wrote: »
    the most loved dogs in the UK is now the staffie , its the dog for everyone ,it dosent need a lot of exercise/but can walk for ever if needed/very loving to everyone/has few health issues,but not a very good guard dog as it will always greet everyone who comes to the door.:D

+2 on the saffie.

I have a 4 year old and he was the most beautiful puppy you would meet. Way cuter than the andrex one. They are would you would call a big small dog.

They have short hair which is an added bonus as you don't want to give your parents too much cleaning. Mine will get into the bed and put the duvet in his mouth and pull it up and tuck himself into the bed.

My grandparents are 85 and i live a good bit away from them but I will always bring him to them for minding if I was going away for a few days. He will lie beside my grandad for the evening watching tv and be a replacement ht water bottle at the bottom of the bed.

He greets all people and loves kids etc. Great on a lead too.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

wexford202 wrote: »
    Mine will get into the bed and put the duvet in his mouth and pull it up and tuck himself into the bed.

Brilliant!!!

+3 on staffs - friendliest dogs I have come across

Advertisement