Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any cold room operator in the house?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi,
    I intend investing in cold room business generally for fish,turkey etc,I need an advice on this,what are the problems with this business?what are the things that are necessary for me to know,of course I know about electricity,I intend to get an heavy duty generator for this,but what are the merits and demerits of this business.do location matters?how much do one need to start?,how much is the cold room itself?How many staff might be needed?what about the ROI ?How long does it take to breakthrough?where are the procedures of operation of the business?
    Any idea will be highly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Firstly, you really should have most of those questions answered in your business plan.
    You need to examine what your market is. End Users? Small shops? Wholesalers? You location will need to be near a major urban hub, with good transportation links, but in an area where the rent is low.
    Staff needed will depend on the volume of goods sold. You will need to familiarise yourself with the legislation in relation to working in a cold environment, there is a maximum time limit per hour you can work in a cold room. (think its 20 mins, depends on temp).
    Other costs, are you going to put racking in it? If so you need a special type of reach truck (Jungheinrich make them and yes they are expensive).

A bit of background, I previously was responsible for a very large cold room in the Regional Distribution Centre of a large grocery retailer. (among other things).

I would seriously think about this business venture before you commit funds to it.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JohnTTT

Hi I found CRS to be a great company to consult with when setting up Cold storage facilities. They have loads of differnt products and they asked me what I was trying to do first off and then they took me through a number of differnt options I could choose from. There website is www.crs.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Maria3

Thanks for the reply but i will like to know how much i need to have inorder to engage in this business

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

What size cold room? How many employees? Where are you setting up? What machinery will you be buying/leasing?

All these must be answered before you can put a cost on start up.

Advertisement