Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of different transport modes

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Can someone place these items in order of pricetag, all other considerations being equal.

1 km of wide single lane roadway
    1 km of wide median motorway
    1 km of HQDC/narrow median motorway
    1 km of 2+2 DC
    1 km of Standard Irish gauge Railway (single track)
    1 km of Standard Irish gauge Railway (twin track)
    1 km of High Speed Rail
    1 km of underground (std Irish gauge) railway
    1 km of underground light rail
    1 km of Luas style tramway

I'm looking more at the cost of the engineering/physical structure itself rather than land acquisition, etc. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

D.L.R. wrote: »
    Can someone place these items in order of pricetag, all other considerations being equal.

1 km of 2+2 DC
    1 km of High Speed Rail

I'm looking more at the cost of the engineering/physical structure itself rather than land acquisition, etc. Thanks.
    I'd be reasonably confident is guessing these.

1 km of High Speed Rail
    1 km of 2+2 DC

I've no real idea where the other types of rail fit in to the main sequence but the rail'd be

1 km of High Speed Rail

Wide median DC/M'way woulde be dearest because overbridges would be longer than narrow median M'way
    There are numbers out there saying 2+2 is only 10% dearer than 2+1, amd 2+1 is built on the same footprint as WS2.

High Speed rail is dear, you have to have very long radius curves, and a very tight control on the elevation of the line, The overbridges are about similar to Motorway size, and the trains themselves are very expensive to buy and run.

Tunnelling is expensive so underground rail is dear, even if it's light rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I'd love to know the difference in cost between 1km of 2+2 Wide Median Motorway and 1km of 3+3 Narrow Median Motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Id assume it's the extra cost of putting down the sub-base base and top layers of the road surface, the lane is bought, the overbridges are built and I'd assume the underbridges have the extra room for a road surface for the third lane. The M1 over the Malahide Estuary has space for a third lane in the centre but no hard shoulder...

not a civil Eng but these seem reasonable assumptions.

Advertisement