Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing in Bunmahon

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi

I'm new to the forum and new to surfing.
    I was just wondering has anybody ever surfed Bunmahon in Waterford?
    I hear the waves are a bit better than tramore but there is a dangerous rip to the left of the beach?

Cheers
    Dermo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Theres a rip down at the far left of the beach near the river mouth but no-one surfs down that side usually.

Up at the right hand side of the beach near the slipway (Park here, on the corner and go in this way) theres lots of rocks that can be submerged at high tide, there can be a bit of a drag up towards them sometimes so keep your bearings in the water.

I've been told theres often a rip between the two sets of stairs that go over the dunes but I havent seen it yet.

If your surfing relatively shallow the sands have a tendancy to shift a bit so you could be in shallow water one second then down in a dip the next (bit daunting for beginners).

Usually it can be a 1/2 foot to 1 foot bigger than Tramore depending on the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Thanks c 13, that makes it a lot easier

Advertisement