Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Facelifted Kia Cee'd

Options
  • 10-08-2009 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

Well, here it is!:o

10899112948201356x236.jpg

10899112949373356x236.jpg

1089911295129356x236.jpg

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/Kia-Cee'd/242386/

Now usually, i wouldn't start a thread on something as little as an uninteresting facelift as this, but something did catch my eye...
    The 2.0-litre diesel is being replaced by 148bhp and 187bhp versions of the 1.6-litre diesel, both mated to a new six-speed manual

187bhp from a 1.6TD!

Thats as much power as you'd have got in a 2.7TDV6 LR Discovery 3, from a 1.6td.

Imagine the turbo lag!

Doesnt look to be a typo either becuase they also hint at the same thing on another site!

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/new-kia-cee-d-more-details/242382

Opinions!?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Rotten :eek: It could have a gazilion horse power I'd still sooner walk across burning coals to get to work. ( Does sound like a crazy amount from a 1.6 though :confused: )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

vomit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

Were it a BMW people would be muttering about ultimate driving machines....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

The rear is ok but its a bit of a step backwards with the front design

They are nice cars though.

The 1.4 is ok and the current 1.6 diesel is quite a nice drive.
    I dont get the snobbery.

I've yet to be in a Golf of the same engine size that I genuinely felt was better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The C'eed is a fine little car and was very well received by the press, I can't stand all the negative snob b0ll0cx above...

Friend has one - rides well, handles well, great spec. If i was a bit more pinced in the penny department and needed something new and reliable it'd be on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Front looks to be copied from the i30 to me

pburns wrote: »
    The C'eed is a fine little car and was very well received by the press, I can't stand all the negative snob b0ll0cx above...

Ah now c'mon on. Have you ever sat in one. Its awful. On paper its a good car. The stats add up , it drives ok and the price is right BUT everything else in the class bar much older products leave it standing. What is this will to love Kias. If they make a really good one then I'll say it but for now I'll buy a cheaper Ex-Hire Focus thanks. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

It looks way worse than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I have the current 1.6D - wish i was getting those BHP figures from mine!!

Mine is the 3 door model (much nicer looking than the 5 door versions imo)

I also think the current design looks a lot nicer, don't like the grill on the new ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,059 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Ah now c'mon on. Have you ever sat in one. Its awful. On paper its a good car. The stats add up , it drives ok and the price is right BUT everything else in the class bar much older products leave it standing. What is this will to love Kias. If they make a really good one then I'll say it but for now I'll buy a cheaper Ex-Hire Focus thanks. ;)

I think the inside is very well designed - a far more interesting look than VW Golf/Polo. Much prefer it to the Toyota and Nissan looks too. My mate traded in his focus for his Pro Ceed and says it drives nicer. Another mate bought a Focus and having driven my ProCeed, and my mates, says they are a nicer car.

I really don't see how everything else in the class leave it standing, in any way. Though I wish it was a bit more fuel efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,843 ✭✭✭✭unkel

It's a fridge. A very ugly one at that. If you want to go from A to B, it will do. Meh. Nice warranty though. If you were planning to buy a Toyota Auris, this might be a real alternative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

The new corporate grill is better integrated into new designs, here it just looks a bit awkward, on the estate it looks especially tacked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Definitely a big disimprovement in the looks department - big mistake??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'd rather drive a shopping trolley

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Older grill is better looking. I think the Pro Ceed is keeping the older grill and just getting the interior improvements.

Had one a few times as loan cars and they do everything as well as the Focus I was usually driving when I needed a loan car. Steering and narrow seats are the only real negatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I can't place what the old version looks like, but I quite like this - reminds me of a focus from front and old A3 from back/side.

And, the 1.6 will leave more than a few "hot" hatches a little embarrassed at traffic lights - a relative Q car in that respect.

smcgiff wrote: »
    the 1.6 will leave more than a few "hot" hatches a little embarrassed at traffic lights - a relative Q car in that respect.

Hot hatches are at least 200BHP these days. And petrol. They won't be embarrassed by a Kia diesel ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭DUBLINHITMAN

sorry but its a sh!te box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I bet some of the people posting comments like the above haven't driven one. I was really suprised...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

EPM wrote: »
    I bet some of the people posting comments like the above haven't driven one. I was really suprised...

I guess they are just trying to be like Jeremy Clarkson ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,479 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote: »
    Hot hatches are at least 200BHP these days. And petrol. They won't be embarrassed by a Kia diesel ;)

And this is 190bhp (assuming that is correct!). A Golf GTi owner would be upset to see Sr. Assumpta stealing a march on the open road with her Korean washing machine!

Getting 187bhp from a 1.6 diesel is a great achievement. I'm sure it is a very competent car, and while it may not have the cachet of a german marque, people shouldn't let that cloud their judgment too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

I liked the old Ceed SW, wouldnt be one to right off a car because of its badge. The 1.6 desiel was nippy, plenty space, good road holding, comfortable seats, not bad looking........but that new one looks terrible!!!

Total step backwards. I would have bought one of the old types. really enjoyed the test drive, I got to keep it for two days. And all this from someone who drives a 3ltr most days!!!

People shouldnt be so quick to decide about a car because of it name. Test drive people!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Typical judge a car by it's badge boards.ie reaction. :rolleyes: Not a pretty car, then again neither is a Skoda Octavia but it seems to earn more street cred on this forum.

Good value for money and a comprehensive warranty package. I can see nothing else European or Japanese in this price range that offers similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Note the "" around Hot - there's plenty of the hole in the exhaust with massive rear spoiler brigade that'll be eating Kia spun dust :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Bobo78 wrote: »
    I guess they are just trying to be like Jeremy Clarkson ;)

lol........like the "its a fridge"comment.
    And that from a Rover 75 owner..................:D

bazz26 wrote: »
    Typical judge a car by it's badge boards.ie reaction. .
    Good value for money and a comprehensive warranty package. I can see nothing else European or Japanese in this price range that offers similar.

Is this about the car or the people on boards??? I dont like it because the engine is noisy, the interior is awful, the ride quality is more than a touch on the poor side , the price isnt really that cheap at all , the warranty is very restricted in what it covers and worst of all it was only on par with class average when it was launched. It has since fallen back rapid. It did nothing to move the game on and its left behind these days by the Focus, New Megane, Astra ( outgoing version ), even the Fiat Bravo ( ever driven one of thoses? ). What is it when people nail a Tiida to a cross its good fun but dare not slate the underdog. If people think its great well good for them but open your eyes without blinkers on and you'll see its off the pace.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

It was actually nice looking before.

Saab Ed wrote: »
    the price isnt really that cheap at all

I noticed that when the Cee'd was launched originally. A base spec was less than a grand cheaper than a Golf iirc. Now you probably get a better spec and the warranty is unmatched, but I doubt the Cee'd will keep its value anywhere near that of a Golf come resale time. Now if it was 5 grand cheaper than a Golf or a Focus...

As is, it is bad value for money in my book. The cheapest Cee'd diesel is very much in the same price bracket as the Subaru Impreza diesel. I know which one I'd buy.

Edit: The cheapest Golf retails at €15k, the cheapest Cee'd retails at €18k - surely Kia are taking the michael here? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I noticed that when the Cee'd was launched originally. A base spec was less than a grand cheaper than a Golf iirc. Now you probably get a better spec and the warranty is unmatched, but I doubt the Cee'd will keep its value anywhere near that of a Golf come resale time. Now if it was 5 grand cheaper than a Golf or a Focus...

As is, it is bad value for money in my book. The cheapest Cee'd diesel is very much in the same price bracket as the Subaru Impreza diesel. I know which one I'd buy.

Edit: The cheapest Golf retails at €15k, the cheapest Cee'd retails at €18k - surely Kia are taking the michael here? :eek:

Sorry Unkel where are you getting that price for the Golf, the cheapest 5dr Golf I can find starts at €21,400? The cheapest diesel 5dr Golf is €24k.

In comparision the cheapest petrol Skoda Octavia starts at €19600, the Hyundai i30 starts at €19k while the Fiat Bravo starts at €20k. These are the Kia's real competitors rather than a Golf, Focus, etc.

Cannot argue about the Impreza though at €22k the diesel puts the rest to shame.

Advertisement