Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell of toast!

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hi There,

Not sure if this is in the right section or if anyone can help... I woke up this morning at 2.15am to the smell of toast... & no, I hadnt been using the toaster ;) It was quite a strong smell... not burnt toast, just toast!

I am just wondering if this is a paranormal thing? my boyfriend could smell it aswell so I definitely wasnt imagining it!

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

<Gazza22 banned>

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bearpup

Ha ha, very funny :P - I dont understand your comment about a health professional though?

I usually dont buy into anything like this but I just though it was particulary odd as we have just bought and moved into the house. We heard that the previous owners had a very sudden death in the family.... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Hi Carly, are you pregnant or could you be? as this is very common with pregnant woman, don't know about your boyfriend though!:o

That would be a definite negative :P. Maybe theres nothing to it.. just thought it was really strange as when I googled info about it, it has happened to other people too and is linked to ghostie stuff :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

Was there toast in the room? Did you have toast earlier on in the day,the smell may have lingered throughout the house,on your clothes/bedclothes or on your persons.
    Do you and your b/f live alone,if not perhaps a housemate was up making toast.
    One of your neighbours could also have been up toasting.

• Advertisement

bigeasyeah wrote: »
    Was there toast in the room? Did you have toast earlier on in the day,the smell may have lingered throughout the house,on your clothes/bedclothes or on your persons.
    Do you and your b/f live alone,if not perhaps a housemate was up making toast.
    One of your neighbours could also have been up toasting.

Hey, nope- no toast in the room, didnt have toast that day. We live alone so no housemates.. we live in a (very) detatched cottage so no neighbours....

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭leddpipe

<leddpipe banned, plus themacdaddy banned for thanking a post which clearly violated the charter>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭DenMan

<DenMan banned>

maybe i should have just kept this to myself... didnt realise by posting here I would have the piss taken out of me :D oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

carlylong wrote: »
    Hey, nope- no toast in the room, didnt have toast that day. We live alone so no housemates.. we live in a (very) detatched cottage so no neighbours....

What about the previous day? Carbon resulting from burning will leave a lingering odour on your clothes,bedclothes?
    Maybe its some other food odour that reminds you of toast.
    I think if something smells of toast the chance of it being toast or something similar are pretty high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

carlylong wrote: »
    maybe i should have just kept this to myself... didnt realise by posting here I would have the piss taken out of me :D oh well.

Dont mind the others. Reports of smells are very common. Usually its perfume or tabacco, sometimes it a smell thats associated with someone who's passed.

In this case I have no idea and no one can say really. All you can do is sit down, think about it and watch out for it in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sully Sunshine

If you log onto Ghost-Mysteries.com there is a discussion the smell of toast, and brandy/whiskey... I do think there could be something in this...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 guiterman

:eek::eek: You serious - burnt toast can actually mean there is a ghost present. Sunny Sullers might be on to something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If anyone else feels like taking the piss, either on this thread or any other for the next while they will be banned for at least 6 months,

and cursed to smell like toast for the rest of their days :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Eletronic circuit boards smell like toast when they are burning/overheating. Do you have any electrical things in the room that are left powered on, it may have overheaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest trying to rule out all possible logical possiblities before concluding it is a paranormal smell.

Yes Paranormal smells do happen ran into one in Ross Castle most recently when on an investigation there.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ghost Girl

Dampsquid is right, and to be honest you'd want to rule that kind of thing out, from a safety point of view even. Lets not have you waking up to the sign of flames and smoke in the house!!

But it might also be worth talking to the previous owners if that is possible, or some one who knew them well. It may make sense to them. My grandmother died in the 80's. I spent my afternoons with her as a child, and she always used a specific type of old perfume. For months after her death I used to visit her home, and go through her clothes and I could still smell the musky perfume off her scarves.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I was very upset about some thing, and was sitting in my bedroom (different house, different location) on my own, and crying. Suddenly just for about 1 to 2 mins I could smell her perfume all around me, it left as suddenly as it arrived. I had never smelled her perfume since she was alive, and it totally distracted me from what was upsetting me. To be honest I was a bit shocked and am convinced she was around me, in a time of need.

now of course their is the possibility it was imagination, or some thing like that, but I will never forget it, and it was as clear as if she had just walked in and sat beside me.

Maybe there is a rational explanation for the toast like smell, but I wouldn't rule out some thing else, and would look into it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I would suggest trying to rule out all possible logical possiblities before concluding it is a paranormal smell.

Yes Paranormal smells do happen ran into one in Ross Castle most recently when on an investigation there.

was in Ross Castle myself, what did you smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

It could have come from anywhere - neighbours etc , blown in the window

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dont want to alarm you or anything OP, but I have heard that smelling toast is a sign of an impending heart attack or stroke! :eek:

http://ph.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070910171334AAbVkEl

Apparently it can also be migraine, which I used to suffer from. Never remember the toast smell though.

http://iconoplex.co.uk/2009/01/12/smell-of-burning-toast/

Time to de-stress maybe? :)

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    It could have come from anywhere - neighbours etc , blown in the window

Dont think it was neighbours, we live in a (very) detatched house in Wicklow... :eek:

Re: Migraine / Stroke / heart attack... would be worried about this but my boyfriend could smell it too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I worked in factories for years, solder on circuit boards can smell just like toast at some high temperatures.

So <important> please don't ignore it, I recommend you turn stuff off at night
    and close the doors downstairs in your house to stop the possible spread of fire between rooms.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭lenomark

have heard about this before same thing happened the rose (whitch is the white thing in your celing that your light hangs out of) was over heating and the kind of plastic its made of smells like toast wen it is too hot so if i were u id check every 1 in your hse and all other ele connections :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭fintonie

you may of been thinking about it in your sleep and the mention of it to your bf could of been enough for him to think he might of got the smell also.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Have to say this is a new one to me, havent come across it before. I have on occasion smelled toast in places for years assuming it to me my half dodgy nose and how the brain can think it is smelling toast by association when there is no toast there.

Advertisement