Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts in Ireland

Options
  • 10-08-2009 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Im 23 years old, lived in Holland since I was 12 and have had my Dutch license for 5 years now. With not a single accident to my name.

I was back home earlier this summer and decided to bumb around the country. This brought me to Galway at one stage and a multi-lane roundabout. I wanted to take the first exit so I took the left most lane and waited for space.
    Now there were cars on the innder lane of the roundabout but no cars on outer lane so i thought grand im taking first exit anyway I can simply take the outer lane to the first exit.
    The exit road also had two lanes so when I drove onto the roundabout and tried to exit (I took the left lane of the two lanes on the exit road) this woman who was already on the roundabout almost drove into me door. Should she not have taken the 2nd lane of the 2 lanes available to exit on?She then proceded to press her horn for what was about 3 minutes solid as we were stuck in slow moving traffic moving towards galway. Thank god she got off at some shopping centre.

I dont drive in Ireland that often so I started doubting myself?

What should I have done?

The roundabout system in ireland is insane and just causes more congestion.. whats wrong with a normal junction with traffic lights?

What do you lot think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The exit road also had two lanes so when I drove onto the roundabout and tried to exit (I took the left lane of the two lanes on the exit road) this woman who was already on the roundabout almost drove into me door. Should she not have taken the 2nd lane of the 2 lanes available to exit on?
    I'm assuming that this woman was on the roundabout coming from a different direction than you - i.e. she didn't enter the roundabout from the same exit as you?

In which case, you basically just pulled out in front of her and failed to yield to traffic already on the roundabout, meaning that you were at fault. Regardless of how many exit lanes there are, you are required to yield to all traffic which is already on the roundabout when you arrive at it.

Let's say you entered from the six o'clock position, turning to nine o'clock. This women had entered from 12 o'clock (I presume) in the right-hand lane, intended to leave at nin o'clock. As she passes the 6 o'clock exit, she is entitled (and sometimes required) to move left in order to take her exit. If you pulled out while she was moving left, you are in her way and you are at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 -=Shamrock=-

Ok thanks for your points. She was indeed already on the roundabout, coming from another direction and was also not signaling.
    Why have multi lane roundabouts then? If you have to stop for all traffic regardless of the lane it is in.

She came directly from the inside lane right over the outside lane to exit. There was enough room for both of us to exit simultaneously if she had just taken the outer lane on the exit road.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

also if you wanted to turn left then you should have been in the left lane.
    as i believe on 2 lane roundabouts the left hand lane is for turning left and going straight on.the right hand lane is for turning right and possibly straight on.but saying that it depends on the road markings and signs.
    if she was coming around the r/about already the you were at fault.if she was in the left lane and chose the right lane on the 1st exit you were at fault as you were using the wrong lane by being on the right.
    as said a lot of people over here don't know how to use a r/about.

I was in the left lane.... before i joined the roundabout... while on the roundabout and also when I exited the roundabout.

When she was approaching my entrance on to the roundabout she was on the inside lane on the roundabout.

I just find it hard to figure out why there are 2/3 lanes on a roundabout and youre not allowed to join if there is someone on the inner lane of the roundabout. Would a single lane roundabout not suffice in such a situation?

i just find the situation in ireland rather confusing compared to Holland. Probably my lack of experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

on some of the bigger r/abouts in the uk they have a system were the left hand lane approaching the r/about is just for taking the 1st exit so you can go straight onto it and traffic already on it that want the same exit go into the outside lane.works very well but then in the uk they know how to drive on r/abouts as they are everywhere and you're taught to use them.good luck with the irish roads and avoid the r/abouts:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

I wouldn't doubt your ability to drive. Now that you know the rule about yielding to all traffic on the roundabout you should be just fine.

Good luck OP.

Thanks.... Ill just drive granny style anytime im close to an irish roundabout :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Thanks.... Ill just drive granny style anytime im close to an irish roundabout

No need for that, just follow the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭The-Game

ardmacha wrote: »
    No need for that, just follow the rules of the road.

Exactly, when dealing with a roundabout you yield for traffic from the right, even on a multi-laned one as they may be changing lane to take any exit. sometimes you are required to cross lanes to exit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭injured365

Another question on roundabouts....
    When should you indicate on roundabouts??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

The-Game wrote: »
    Exactly, when dealing with a roundabout you yield for traffic from the right, even on a multi-laned one as they may be changing lane to take any exit. sometimes you are required to cross lanes to exit.

Well then whats the point in having more than 1 lane on a roundabout? If you all have to wait for each other anyway just have one lane and be done with it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well then whats the point in having more than 1 lane on a roundabout? If you all have to wait for each other anyway just have one lane and be done with it.

I think this image really speaks for it's self.
    j&r_roundabouts_leaving-by-later-exit.jpg
    If in the above example, the car who's path is marked is taking the exit, they are going from the inner lane of the roundabout to taking the exit in one motion. If you had been coming from the top of the picture down to take what would be "your 1st exit" ie a left turn, you assuming you had right of way would cause problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

For traffic flow. It allows more than one car to enter the roundabout at the same time. So you could have a car turning right, and a car turning left both enter the roundabout at the same time because they are going in different directions and can use a lane each. Also if the road you are coming from is a dual carriageway it prevents cars having to break into single line formation just to take a roundabout.

I fully agree with you!

However the principle of having two lanes is confusing.

image024.jpg

Take this picture only im coming from a westerly direction and going north... the other person is the red line and the picture is accurate.

She only did not take the right hand lane she took the left lane..... and went bezerk... was I really wrong?

If I was wrong .. i give up and will have to accept I will never be able to drive on roundabout.

Thank god there are not ones like these here on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,958 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Take this picture only im coming from a westerly direction and going north... the other person is the red line and the picture is accurate
    A vehicle following the red line would be acting illegally in many situations.

The regulations state that (unless directed otherwise) a vehicle intending to tak the second exit must enter the roundabout in the left lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Sunjammer

A vehicle following the red line would be acting illegally in many situations.

The regulations state that (unless directed otherwise) a vehicle intending to tak the second exit must enter the roundabout in the left lane.

And just to confuse the OP even more the red line is the correct way on many roundabouts here too, Drivers in Cork will be aware of this on the two roundabouts in Carrigaline near Herons Wood and near the church but in these cases the road markings are pretty clear.

But unless road markings direct otherwise Wishbone Ash's description above is correct :confused::)

Advertisement