Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goofy Footed?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Sorry, but I am a total newbie to surfing, I have never surfed before but will be soon. I am trying to find out which way to stand on a board.

I play football with my left foot, but I am trying to understand this hole thing about 'Regular Footed' and 'Goofy Footed'. Looked online and they said which ever foot you put out first would be your stronger foot if you where pushed from behind.

But the way I picked up on it was that your stronger foot is the one you have out in front but they said if your left foot comes out to stop you from falling you are 'Regular Footed' but should that not be called 'Goofy Footed'? :confused:

Is your front foot the one you control the bored with or is it the back foot?

FYI: I always thought some who was 'Goofy Footed' was someone who used their weaker foot to surf.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

goofy footed means right foot foreward, as in on a skateboard going down a hill, right foot forward. im a goofy footer play football with right fot, friends are right footed but are regular footed on a surfboard/skateboard/snowboard...
    bottom line is that it doesnt really matter what foot you play football with, personally that pushing and then whichever foot catches you doesnt work for me,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Just lash ahead and see what feels right.

Right handed surfers generally have their weaker or left foot forward which will mean that when riding a RH wave they will be facing it whereas a goofy footer will have their back to it (riding on their backhand).
    This would obviously be reversed when scooting along on a left.

However there are many people whom are right handers who surf goofy. It's simply 'cause it feels right or natural to them. The same may apply to yourself.
    It may however mean that you may develop a preference for lefts over rights (if goofy) as most generally prefer to surf facing their wave.

Generally the back foot is used more for controlling the board. Done so by putting weight/pressure on it and piviting one way or the other. Basically speaking of course.

Just be careful starting out that your not sold a board too short. Forget the short & pointy javelin like shortboards, look at something 8 - 9ft. Much better at catching waves.
    You'll never figure out wither or not your goofy or otherwise if your just flapping about the place unable to catch a wave in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭thehangtenguy

A good way to figure this out is to run and slide on a polished wooden / tiled floor in you socks. Your sliding stance will tell you your natural surfing stance. leash goes on your trailing leg.
    If your a goofy footer or not does not dictate how well you surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭theo4130

nice one hangtenguy! simple solutions usually work best!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I am right handed (although my left hand is quite handy too) and I slide on frozen puddles, skateboard and surf with my right foot in front. I am all goofy :-)
    But in fairness, after my first lesson, I was so confused, that I've jumped on the board with different foot in front every time. Just do whatever suits you and feels natural.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 netengwb

I dont have enough posts to give out thanks so thanks for all the replys when I get out there I will use see what feels right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭mechwarrior

A good way to figure this out is to run and slide on a polished wooden / tiled floor in you socks. Your sliding stance will tell you your natural surfing stance. leash goes on your trailing leg.
    If your a goofy footer or not does not dictate how well you surf.

that's the way to go - has nothing to do with right handed/left handed (or foot) - i'm right handed but i eat with knife on left hand - i'm right footed, i place my right foot behind (the few times i tried to get up on a surf board) but when on top of a skateboard i use the left foot to push - and i kick with my left foot...

... or maybe i'm just a weirdo...

Advertisement