Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where did that shop appear from?

Options
  • 10-08-2009 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭

Was down home this weekend *Cork* and walking down North Main St.

All of a sudden I think I am in the 80's/90's. A shop with consoles and controllers, from the original 2600 to an Xbox.

Entire shelves full of cartridges (Snes/Nes/MasterSystem/Mega etc)
    Nirvana

How long has this bee there and why did no one let me know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭NeoKubrick

What's the name of the store?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Been there a gd few months now! Cnt remember the name (does it have one?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

magicianz wrote: »
    Been there a gd few months now! Cnt remember the name (does it have one?)

I did not even take note!
    I was mesmerised by the shelves full of cartridges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Its called Cent Wise, been open for a few months now, split into kitchen utensils and crockery on one half and racks of old games the other half. Got a nice selection of stuff, but the consoles are ridiculously expensive.....€90 for a SNES...maybe not. Also saw the wood effect Atari 2600, man now thats a throwback to my childhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,291 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

yep some insanely old consoles in there that I never seen before. far too expensive though, 60 euro for a N64, 60 quid for a dreamcast? no thank you. the guy is even unnegotiable, i wanted Rocket Knight Adventures for 5 euro, it didnt have a manual and its not a rare game, he stuck to his guns at 10 euro. its like he's afraid to sell stuff cheap in case they actually are worth something. still its worth a look for any retro fans here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

A pity then that Dublin hasn't such a shop, ah well....
    At least we have each other!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

We have Game exchange, which is also on the expensive side. I'll check it out if I ever go to cork

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Picked up Track and Field for the DC and Colin McRae for the PSone there today. Reasonable selection of retro consoles and games although i was sorely tempted to point out to the proprietor that with the advent of THE INTERNET every single thing in the shop, from the €60 Psones & N64s, to the €90 NES and €20 N64 games, can be procured online for far cheaper.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Damn, 60 for a PS1. Thats massively overpriced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

If you think thats overpriced, i asked how much the Megadrive was, told it was €90:eek:, so i didn't bother asking a follow up question of how much the mega CD was. Finally they were asking €30 for original gameboys. Was going to buy Gran Turismo 2 but of the 2 copies they had both only had the arcade discs inside, shame really GT2 is my favourite in the series.

• Advertisement

I'll be in Cork in a few days. How easy is this place to find for an out-of-towner?

30 for a Gameboy?! I got one fully boxed, mint condition and with Metroid for 12 delivered off ebay. Got 4 batteries in it too :P

NeoKubrick wrote: »
    I'll be in Cork in a few days. How easy is this place to find for an out-of-towner?

not too bad, its about halfway down north main street.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=North+Main+Street,+Cork+city&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=21.676889,56.513672&ie=UTF8&ll=51.897893,-8.478355&spn=0.008209,0.027595&z=15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Fs, it's an expensive rip-off and it's called Centwise? :/

yep, i would highly recommend anyone going to this shop not to be expecting to buy anything and treat the shop more of a retro gaming curiousty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I was going to buy MGS3: subsistence for €50 but didn't bother. It's nice to have a look inside but the young boy working there is a bit annoying.

Anyway Die Hard Trilogy was €25 :O

The kid is alright, actually. Helpful lil' guy. Extortionately expensive though it may be, it is a sick shop with a lot old gems and crap. I bought Far Cry: Instincts new and an Xbox original controller for €20. Expensive couple of days in Cork, too: bought Shadow of the Colossus (new), Street Fighter Alpha Anthology (used), and Viewtiful Joe (used), Buzz Sports Live (used - this was free with buy two games get one free and saw no other good PS2 game worth picking up) for €40 from Gamestop.

a pic I took in the shop of the most awesome and yet fairly pointless thing in the world, a megadrive 1 CD with master system converter. plenty of old joypads and saturn steering wheels in sight too.

seems as though the gaming section of this shop is now gone. where, i'd love to know, i'll take your md, cd, msx monster off your hands if its going for nothing....

Advertisement