Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Problem with car insurance company

Options
  • 10-08-2009 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭

Mods, wasn't sure if this was the most appropriate forum - feel free to move.

I have a car insured with Hibernian with my wife as an additional driver. My wife has a different car insured with Quinn with me as an additional driver on that policy.

Back in March my wife was driving my car (my policy with Hibernian) and was involved in a minor fender bender (drove into the back of someone in a slow moving line of traffic). The claim came to about 2K. We got a letter from Hibernian at the start of July advising of this and advising that they "intend to pursue recovery" of their outlay.

At the end of July we get a letter from them saying that they've recovered 50% from Quinn Insurance. My wife's policy with Quinn is due for renewal at the end of Aug so she got the renewal letter the other day and the premium has doubled with the loss of her no claims discount.

How is this possible? How can Hibernian get half the claim off Quinn and affect the Quinn policy in such a way? They're different policies, different vehicles and different policy holders!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Probably because on her Quinn policy she's covered to drive other cars. So when Hibernian check the insurers database they seen that and went to Quinn for half the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I see. And this will wipe the no-claims discount on both policies? This hardly seems fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Probably because on her Quinn policy she's covered to drive other cars. So when Hibernian check the insurers database they seen that and went to Quinn for half the cost.

I would assume this would only be the case if she was driving on her own third party extentsion, which isn't valid in this case as it's her husbands car so she has a stake in it, and she wasn't a named driver.
    Branoic wrote: »
    I see. And this will wipe the no-claims discount on both policies? This hardly seems fair.

I'd contact Hibernian and ask them to explain how a person named on the policy is getting a claim made on a totally different policy, is there some data protection issues here? Of if they don't give you a satisfactory answer I'd be straight on the the insurance ombusman.

One thing to be aware of is that she may still loose her NCB on her own policy. Since most companies ask have you had any claims in 3/5 years she'll have to say yes even though it wasn't on her policy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Probably! that way they'll both get more money out of you! but best to check with them, If they paid 100% of claim it would probably be the same premium rise as if they paid 50% you should ask for a 50% reduction in the premium rise as they only paid 50% of claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Right, so I've spoken to Hibernian and the story is thus:

Insurance companies have an agreement between themselves that states that where an accident occurs and the vehicle is being driven by an additional driver on the policy, any claim for damage to your car is handled under your insurance (ie, Hibernian's policy) and any damage to the third party's car is handled on the driver's policy (in this case my wife's Quinn policy).

As my policy was for 3rd party fire and theft only, we didn't put in any claim for the damage to my car, and as a result normally my no-claims discount would not be affected.

However, it seems that Quinn are one of two companies (the other being Zurich), who have not signed up to this agreement in full. As a result Hibernian were only able to claim 50% back on Quinn, and remaining 50% coming from my policies. As both policies came into effect, the no claims discount was lost on both policies - which sucks donkey balls imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Branoic wrote: »
    Right, so I've spoken to Hibernian and the story is thus:

Insurance companies have an agreement between themselves that states that where an accident occurs and the vehicle is being driven by an additional driver on the policy, any claim for damage to your car is handled under your insurance (ie, Hibernian's policy) and any damage to the third party's car is handled on the driver's policy (in this case my wife's Quinn policy).

As my policy was for 3rd party fire and theft only, we didn't put in any claim for the damage to my car, and as a result normally my no-claims discount would not be affected.

However, it seems that Quinn are one of two companies (the other being Zurich), who have not signed up to this agreement in full. As a result Hibernian were only able to claim 50% back on Quinn, and remaining 50% coming from my policies. As both policies came into effect, the no claims discount was lost on both policies - which sucks donkey balls imo.

I would have though your wifes policy isn't valid on this as she has an interest in the car, so therefore her 3rd party extentsion can't be used. I'd get back onto them about this or contact the ombusman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

(posting to subscribe on mobile theme)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Del2005 wrote: »
    I would have though your wifes policy isn't valid on this as she has an interest in the car, so therefore her 3rd party extentsion can't be used. I'd get back onto them about this or contact the ombusman.

Doesn't that only apply when you are the owner of the car, and not simply that you have an interest in it? I know on my policy, I can drive any other car, as long as that car is insured, I'm not the registered owner, and it's not a fleet car or rental.

Branoic, you'll need to check both policy details to see if there's anything you can do. Also, how would a small claim like 2000 euro (1000 on each policy) wipe out both NCBs in full? That seems very small, unless you had feck all NCB to begin with.

Lesson learned: don't use Quinn for car insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Motors.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭Barr

Afraid this is correct, its not Hibernians fault. For some reason Quinn has not signed up for the dual indemnity agreement - (most other insurance companies have agreed to this) Its basically means you will get shafted twice by both bonuses being effected. I think Sertus is another one where you would get stung.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭ball

Only the wifes policy will be affected.
    Sertus aren't part of that agreement, along with Quinn and FBD (and a few other small companies)

It's called the "dual indemnity" agreement.

Basically, it means if a named driver is insured to drive your vehicle elsewhere, it's their insurance that are liable, not yours.

Because most people are 3rd party only when "driving other cars", your policy will cover your own damage (once the driver is named on the policy of course) and the 3rd party claim goes under the driver's policy

Advertisement