Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National historical preservation society

Options
  • 10-08-2009 5:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Just wanted to know if one exists, i was thinking of starting one myself as it seems that areas/objects of historical significance are being destroyed too easily these days. And since i think that history is more important than new roads and shopping centres i think that there should be a group there to protect them :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Barry O D

i also want to know peoples opinions on preservstion, and so on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

An Taisce
    www.antaisce.org

Sometimes they go too far!
    If you have tried build a house on a site in rural Ireland you may well have had dealings with this crowd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

If you're interested in old buildings there is a dedicated Irish section here
    www.archiseek.com

Mainly architects who contribute but it's a good read and lots of pics

the group an taisce seem to be a enviourmental group rather than that of saving historicla sites and objects.
    I know the site of archiseek they are valuable resource as well as a guy who started a site called abandoned ireland its a could site that shows the neglect and decay of some historic buildings of ireland.
    I also researched a conservation group of ireland however it seems to be a one man band.
    What i was hoping for would be a local as well as national group that would be able to tackle local and national issues,
    In my own home town ballicollig developers have basically turned 200 year old buildings that were part of a sold barracks into a shopping centre as well as level a few. Nothing was said about this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Barry O D wrote: »
    the group an taisce seem to be a enviourmental group rather than that of saving historicla sites and objects.
    I know the site of archiseek they are valuable resource as well as a guy who started a site called abandoned ireland its a could site that shows the neglect and decay of some historic buildings of ireland.
    I also researched a conservation group of ireland however it seems to be a one man band.
    What i was hoping for would be a local as well as national group that would be able to tackle local and national issues,
    In my own home town ballicollig developers have basically turned 200 year old buildings that were part of a sold barracks into a shopping centre as well as level a few. Nothing was said about this

The Irish Georgian Society despite having an elitist image do a lot of practical building preservation work see: http://www.igs.ie/

the Irish Landmark Trust another body that preserves worthwhile buildings and lets them out for holiday breaks: http://www.irishlandmark.com/

While I support your idea of a new national body I think your wasting your time as what little interest there is in these things is already covered by existing groups including An Taisce see: http://www.antaisce.org/

The Abandoned Ireland website at: http://www.abandonedireland.com/ is worth a look as it illustrates the hopeless task facing anybody wishing to embark on a project such as you're suggesting. Good luck but count me out. :)

• Advertisement

I accept your point and your opinion however i personally would rather struggle in a attempt to save our history and heritage rather than sit back and watch them slowly be destroyed its just my way:) I personally have seen sites and objects be destroyed through neglect and time as well as in the name of development. I personally beleive that it is our history and heritage defines us and it must be protected correctly which sadely is not the case at the moment

I would also ask those who love history to take a stand and no longer leave our past be destroyed without any defence, even if this thread merely gets 2 or 3 people keeping watch and attempting to protect their local heritage i would consider this a success

But back to my main point, i myself am studying both history and archaeology in college and i plan to do a doctorate in history so you could say its part of my life. Within my own group of friends there are a good few of us wishing to undertake the idea of a national historical preservation society. I personally think that there are enough people out there who would be willing to partake in the idea. I would like to hear feedback on what other people think of this issue any ideas are welcome

Here is another organisation for your files - The Irish Industrial Heritage Association http://www.ihai.ie/ .

My point is that rather than form a new organisation - as there are already too many - you should join an existing one (with a group of friends if you like) and that way you will be able to influence things far more quickly. I know from experience - believe me. If I was to pick an organisation in crisis that is ripe for 'renewal' it is An Taisce and it has been the subject of several unfriendly internal coups over the years. However, a positive group pushing for change from within would probably meet with more success. :)

I understand your point and i have been playing the thought around for awhile, my main problem with many of these organisations is that they are focused on a specific section, however it is a good idea and i will have to research it:). Thanks

• Advertisement

I also think that many organisations like antaisce have become preoccupied with nvioremental issues aswell, if there were what i thought the right organisation i would join it, however many of these groups have flaws or other aims that merely lead away from the specific gaol of historical preservation. So far those i have seen are too specific on certain sections of history or they are no longer focused upon the topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Shredder66

Hi Barry

Did you have any luck with this?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcL2klPhoon6Wq4XUeARiu-LgYuZSoNe7Lt8g9WXl9Ecz7J7n2lg

Advertisement