Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for a sparky

Options
  • 10-08-2009 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

I got a price from a guy to wire our house last week. I am in a bit of a rush as I want to get him working before I go on holidays myself so I am considering not pricing anyone else and just letting him at it.

I just want to know how the price sounds...

The house is a 1.5 story with about 2400 square foot down stairs and 800 upstairs.

Downstaris consists of 3 bedrooms, a bathroom, playroom, sitting room, living room/kitchen. Upstairs is 2 bedrooms, an office and bathroom

There is also a detatched garage.

Electrics are all fairly standard. We have recess lights in most rooms upstairs and down stairs. TV points in 4 rooms. Cat 5 cables from 6 rooms running back to the office. 4 Smoke Alarms. A burgular alarm. Outside lights

Price quoted was €8,400 for the whole lot, first & second fixing. This was a cash price and includes all parts.

How does it sound ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mazotasan

Am building slightly smaller house with similar electrical spec...have one price sofar of €10K so that'd make your price not so bad on the face of it. Personally in the current climate I'd still get at least 3 prices and also compare specs light fittings, switches etc. they're can be a big differences between basic and decent recessed light fittings. Make sure everything is included in the spec/pricing as an initial cheaper price wont be long growing if theres 'extras'...ext lighting, ext sockets, switch in bedroom for ext lighting, the cable for gate automation...etc etc good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭MacTheKnife1

How about speaker wires for TV, stereo. Carbon monoxide alarm near any burner? You only get one chance to do this. DO NOT RUSH IT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

Mazo

Everything is definately included in the price. I met him on site and we went through every room before he gave me the price. With the price he has given me a good comprehensive list of what is included in every room.

Mac
    Thanks for the suggestions. There was a very good thread on here a while back that I found in a search where people had listed out all possible things you can include in the wiring. I went through it in detail a few weeks back and didn't really picked out things that I thought we would need. The best I ideas I got from it was an outside socket for Christmas Lights and running cables out for garden lights even if you are not putting them down straight away.
    We're not really big gadget buffs. We wouldn't really be into surround sound systems or that kind of thing and I couldn't see us ever using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭ninjaBob

I went a bit mad with my electrics

I'll send you a rough breakdown of what I have gotten, but it was around €6000 inc VAT then I added alot more and added up to around €11,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Not my area but
    are the smoke alarms stand alone battery ones or connected to mains/main alarm system?

I believe they cant be battery anymore.

The one thing that always concerns me in this sort of a job is the actual fittings, particularly now with hugh volumes being done online from Newry, with the common answer when you query the actual fitting being:
    you never said, or thats all they had.
    Have you bathroom fans included?

• Advertisement
Advertisement