Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions On My New Site

Options
  • 10-08-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Just launched a video game website for news, articles, forums that sort of thing.

I'm just looking for some opinions. Like ease of access, forum layout, design and ad placement? Anything else you'd like to add is a bonus!

Thanks guys!

Site Name: My Inside Gamer

Site URL: http://myinsidegamer.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

whats the name of the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

steve_ wrote: »
    whats the name of the site?

I feel stupid now.

http://myinsidegamer.com

ha no bother man. Do you mind me asking how you set up the site and did you have a big team doing it? it was just as a college project me and some of the lads were going to set up a site just related to games. Were doing games design in Ballyfermot. Ill tell them to check out your site

ha no bother man. Do you mind me asking how you set up the site and did you have a big team doing it? it was just as a college project me and some of the lads were going to set up a site just related to games. Were doing games design in Ballyfermot. Ill tell them to check out your site

Haha I live in Ballyfermot.

Send them to the site, and if they send me a PM, I'll give them the details. It was mainly me that set it up.

Do you like it?

yeah its nice man. I think it needs some more images to lure viewers to certain sections of the page as its mostly text but like you said you've only launched. In the college we regularly have gaming sessions. You could maybe get involved and record the sessions and post them on the page showing your involved with the irish gaming scene. Gamers care more when you care about us ;)

• Advertisement

yeah its nice man. I think it needs some more images to lure viewers to certain sections of the page as its mostly text but like you said you've only launched. In the college we regularly have gaming sessions. You could maybe get involved and record the sessions and post them on the page showing your involved with the irish gaming scene. Gamers care more when you care about us ;)

Yeah true, my main priority is to keep idiots off the forums. I want it to be a good environment.

Does anyone have anymore opinions? They're greatly welcomed!

Somebody? Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

very very nice, did you build it all from scratch?

Mike... wrote: »
    very very nice, did you build it all from scratch?

I actually wrote a PHP script. I had a different Wordpress powered site I was using and one day I started writing PHP and it just grew from there actually.

I can't believe you all like it lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Pretty impressive. Great work!

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Pretty impressive. Great work!

Thank you for your nice comment!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I thought the main page was a bit messy, my eyes didn't know where to look with all the images everywhere. Other than that seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Bono Vox wrote: »
    I actually wrote a PHP script. I had a different Wordpress powered site I was using and one day I started writing PHP and it just grew from there actually.

care to explain this then http://customcms.net/index.html
    and especially this! http://customcms.net/demo/gamingcms/

i dont mind people using other peoples software but passing it of has your own is just sad

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

skelliser wrote: »
    care to explain this then http://customcms.net/index.html
    and especially this! http://customcms.net/demo/gamingcms/

i dont mind people using other peoples software but passing it of has your own is just sad

Snap, I seen it too after I posted the reply...
    How many CMS's are out there came across one called cushy CMS yesterday,
    Seems handy type feature for clients who want the ability to edit sites that are mainly html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Mike... wrote: »
    Snap, I seen it too after I posted the reply...
    How many CMS's are out there came across one called cushy CMS yesterday,
    Seems handy type feature for clients who want the ability to edit sites that are mainly html

theres loads and loads man!
    joomla is ok, starting to mess with drupal, its the industry standard now apparently.
    havent used cushy just yet, will be getting into it soon, i hear its extremly flexible, would be ideal for small businesses to update content etc

Hi,

I should have explained. When I said I began to write PHP, I meant I got the bug, but I couldn't expand on it:

I can't believe you all like it lo

I wrote a very small three page script, but it wasn't very good. But it did evolve, and I found CCMS. I don't believe in passing it off as my own. At the bottom of the page the CCMS logo is there linking to the homepage.

When I said I wrote a PHP script, I didn't necessarily mean the PHP script. Sorry if I caused any confusion guys!

But I'm not a fraud and I'm not trying to pass it off. I actually have support for Erik, who on his own wrote the script, and I've done a little customisation to the script (which is allowed) but I did not claim to write the script on the site.

Sorry for any confusion guys!

Can anyone tell me if the site is slow at loading? It's not for me but that's probably because I visit it so much, but is it slow at loading for you guys?

Thanks!

Anyone else wanna tell me what they think and point out any problems or report any bugs?

Thanks a mil Boardsies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

Just had a look. It's looking nice. A little cramped but that way you can see a lot of stuff just from the homepage. Good job.

As a grammer nazi I'd put a capital letter at the start of the words at the bottom (home, forum, blogs etc) but that's obviously a really minor thing!

The Walsho wrote: »
    Just had a look. It's looking nice. A little cramped but that way you can see a lot of stuff just from the homepage. Good job.

As a grammer nazi I'd put a capital letter at the start of the words at the bottom (home, forum, blogs etc) but that's obviously a really minor thing!

Haha I'm also like that! I'll be editing them tomorrow (too late to log into hosting and open up editor ect . . .)

Thanks for the feedback!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 oBEAVISo

If i was you lad i would be very careful about what you say.If you want you and your site to be taken with integrity please dont lie saying you put together a PHP script as i will tell you now you are full of ****e.
    If your intelligent enough to run a site then your intelligent enough to express yourself properly and your original article did not show that so you twist and turn out of it.

How dare you take away the hard work and free time that the people over at custom ccms are putting in to help people and you come along with that bull****.

I too am running custom ccms version 4.0 integrated with Vbulletin forums and we have been around for 2 years http://GamezBox.ie .

I will tell you this.If Erik sees that post he will revoke your licience ..

Your from Back home in Ireland yourself, like me .. Do a good job with the place but dont bull**** or you go down the pan .

by the way the name is Paddy . I am on the forums every day

oBEAVISo wrote: »
    If i was you lad i would be very careful about what you say.If you want you and your site to be taken with integrity please dont lie saying you put together a PHP script as i will tell you now you are full of ****e.
    If your intelligent enough to run a site then your intelligent enough to express yourself properly and your original article did not show that so you twist and turn out of it.

How dare you take away the hard work and free time that the people over at custom ccms are putting in to help people and you come along with that bull****.

I too am running custom ccms version 4.0 integrated with Vbulletin forums and we have been around for 2 years http://GamezBox.ie .

I will tell you this.If Erik sees that post he will revoke your licience ..

Your from Back home in Ireland yourself, like me .. Do a good job with the place but dont bull**** or you go down the pan .

I did not try to take away from Eriks hard work! It was a simple mistake! If I didn't want people to know I wouldn't have the logo on my homepage, no?

I think it's you who needs to be careful. You shouldn't come in here with sixteen posts and post your link to your site on-thread. That's looked down upon.

If Erik saw that post I'm sure he'd understand, it was a simple error!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 oBEAVISo

I did not try to take away from Eriks hard work! It was a simple mistake! If I didn't want people to know I wouldn't have the logo on my homepage, no?

I think it's you who needs to be careful. You shouldn't come in here with sixteen posts and post your link to your site on-thread. That's looked down upon.

If Erik saw that post I'm sure he'd understand, it was a simple error!

Simple mistake my arse.. you would have took all the credit for it so don't blow crap, had you not been found out. If or not the logo is on there makes no difference I believe !!.
    As for putting my link to the site,with my 16 posts, I was just proving to you mate I am a CCMS user but one who is probably a bit more freindlier with the lads over at CCMS.
    Boards.ie is aware Of GamezBox due to posts going back two years on here so i dont need to "advertise" as you may be trying to imply ??.A few lads from Boards.ie are members of my site !.

When we are told someone is claiming something with regards to the CCMS we will protect Erik and his hard work ok !!....

I wont be replying again so you can carry on and reply to your hearts content.

Now goodnight to ya.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Mod Note:
    oBEAVISo: Take it easy will you. Understand your point, but keep the head a little more please. Thanks.

oBEAVISo wrote: »
    Simple mistake my arse.. you would have took all the credit for it so don't blow crap, had you not been found out. If or not the logo is on there makes no difference I believe !!.
    As for putting my link to the site,with my 16 posts, I was just proving to you mate I am a CCMS user but one who is probably a bit more freindlier with the lads over at CCMS.
    Boards.ie is aware Of GamezBox due to posts going back two years on here so i dont need to "advertise" as you may be trying to imply ??.A few lads from Boards.ie are members of my site !.

When we are told someone is claiming something with regards to the CCMS we will protect Erik and his hard work ok !!....

I wont be replying again so you can carry on and reply to your hearts content.

Now goodnight to ya.

Look I wasn't trying to take the credit. I wouldn't be stupid enough to say it was mine while I have the CCMS icon splashed across the homepage.

CCMS was sold two days ago to a company, FYI, so you can stop the whole melodramatic "protect Erik" thing. Thanks.

Advertisement