Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TULLAMORE SHOW 2009

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

hey guys what did ye think of the tullamore show this year goog bad etc ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

it was good i think! Though the site is huge and everything is alot more spread out! it was very good!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I don't want to appear too negative, especially after the show being cancelled for 2 years, but there are some areas where there's room to improve. The queue for entry was crazy. They would also want to get a few lessons from the NPA about managing parking and traffic, would need many more portaloos and more catering facilities. I'm not fussy, but the gents "toilets" were an absolute disgrace. The ladies' portaloos near the cattle washing area weren't even levelled!

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bk1991

the site is well improved on other years .but the traffic wasnt managed properly but over all the show it self was great loads stands that wernt there before an all great day out and the weather held up well
    how many people attened ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I don't want to appear too negative, especially after the show being cancelled for 2 years, but there are some areas where there's room to improve. The queue for entry was crazy. They would also want to get a few lessons from the NPA about managing parking and traffic, would need many more portaloos and more catering facilities. I'm not fussy, but the gents "toilets" were an absolute disgrace. The ladies' portaloos near the cattle washing area weren't even levelled!

+1

I was in the red car park at 9.30 am so was in very near entrance to the show grounds, no problems there, however we decided to leave early @ 3.50pm and it was 5.20pm before we reached the public road.

It was utter chaos in the car park & ended up with a free for all with about 7 lanes of traffic approaching the exit.

WHERE WERE THE STEWARDS?? not 1 tractor or tow vehicle to assist vehicles in trouble.

if the show was held the week before no way would cars have got out it was all hills and hollows & 1 shower of rain would have caused mayhem ,all I could get was the smell of burning clutches, we had to give a push to a micra who couldnt get going.

The Society cancelled the show last 2 years "for the safety of their patrons" but showed little concern for them this years.

The show it self was quite good but very spread out but never the less quite enjoyable.

I understand that organizing an event on the scale of Tullamore takes a huge effort & most likely they had maybe 15% more attendance than they planned for, but if they do not address the the traffic & parking arrangements the show will go down hill very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

I agree with all the hill and hollows regarding the carparking.. I went out with me da, and he was saying if there was one shower of rain yesterday the place would have been really slippery and there would have been shocking trouble getting out of the carparks! they certainly werent catering with people with ordinary cars...but for the people with the 4-wheel drives!

all in all a good day out, heard there was about 60,000 people there which is up on other years!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weatherford

I am glad to hear it was such a success!!

However, perhaps rather than complaining about the parking/traffic/other problems, everyone should put on their thinking caps and figure out how to FIX the problems.

For example, I know there are fabulous portapotties set up on tractor trailers (they include sinks for washing the hands) and maybe the show committee should look into using a number of these rather then the flimsy single ones. I will try to find and send them the information.

Surely someone on these boards must be an engineer who could help solve the traffic problems?

I must admit, I missed the pre-entry deadline, and they do not accept post entries, so I was unable to take my animals. Inasmuch as I don't like hoards of people, I am a tad glad... ;)

(Although, another suggestion I will make is that they accept post entries at a very much higher fee...)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Did anyone see the western riding there? Were they barrel racing, calf roping etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 weatherford

I didn't see anything in the entry program for Western riding. What I have seen here in Ireland is pretty basic when compared to what you see in the US.

I would love to see an international reining class at the RDS, however!! No place with the right footing, however.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

I am glad to hear it was such a success!!

However, perhaps rather than complaining about the parking/traffic/other problems, everyone should put on their thinking caps and figure out how to FIX the problems.

It's not rocket science to sort out the catering and toilet issues. I haven't ever needed to queue for the jacks at the ploughing, nor have I needed to queue for an hour for something to eat. A few of them portacabin toilets, a few more conventional portaloos and some more caterers would remove quite a bit of hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thetangler

Hi

I was in Tullamore Sunday.Thiought it was a great show. The quality of the cattle was exceptional. Thought there was a great display of Simmentals, But the other breeds were also well turned out.
    Anyone buy a ticket for the Simmental cross heifer ?.

The exit was to only issue I had took 1 hr 20 min to get out of the field.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

Huge place lots to see but no signs after leaving the grounds on how to find a main road! God bless satnav! I had a convey of people who had stopped with no Idea how to get back on route felt like Moses leading my flock!

But inside was well spaced out but as previously stated more food vendors needed and lots more Portaloos!

I took lots of photos on the day so if you were up there check to see if I got you!
    Loved the dog agility display.

Photos of Tullamore 2009 [ Here ]
    You can follow the link for the fill list of pics.

Off to the Limerick Show tomorrow! although looks like the weather will be bad:(

not going to morrow but was at cappamore show last wed. another great day out out. and no stone left unturned by the hard working committee

CCSL wrote: »
    Huge place lots to see but no signs after leaving the grounds on how to find a main road! God bless satnav! I had a convey of people who had stopped with no Idea how to get back on route felt like Moses leading my flock!

But inside was well spaced out but as previously stated more food vendors needed and lots more Portaloos!

I took lots of photos on the day so if you were up there check to see if I got you!
    Loved the dog agility display.

Photos of Tullamore 2009 [ Here ]
    You can follow the link for the fill list of pics.

Off to the Limerick Show tomorrow! although looks like the weather will be bad:(

Thanks for sharing . some brilliant pics there especially the action from the dog agility display.

well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭CCSL

snowman707 wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing . some brilliant pics there especially the action from the dog agility display.

well done.

Thanks snowman
    The Limerick show was good. A lot smaller than Tullamore and seemed to be more of a horse show with the other animals in at the back by the end of the stand. Still not bad and lots of breeds represented.

Photos [ Here ] if your interested.

Advertisement