Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser surgery for mild prescription

Options
  • 09-08-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I am considering having laser eye surgery soon.

I have a very mild prescription, left eye -1.25, right eye -0.75. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had surgery that had a similar prescription and how successful the outcome was.

I've been to several consultations with different companies to make sure they are all telling me the same thing, which they are. I am suitable for either LASIK or LASEK. I wanted to make sure they were interested in my eyes and not just my wallet.

With my glasses I'm told I have greater than 20/20 vision(??) so I need to consider the risk/reward benefit of surgery. Basically, I would like to be able to see exactly as I do now but without the use of glasses. All opinions welcome. Thanks.

K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

my old prescription would have been a little higher than yours (-1.75 both, iirc).

i hated wearing the specs and got sick of contacts after about 2 years of chopping and changing types i.e. monthlys, dailys, the ones you can keep in for the entire month - in the end i ended up having problems with each of them.

i had a consultation on the spur of a moment. the auld lad wanted check it out but he didn't want to go alone. i cant even remember the name of the company (Dr. Thakis somethingorother) that did the procedure - they folded about 3 months after the op, lucky i didn't need any check ups!

i had bi-lasik, procedure lasted a couple of minutes, all went relatively well (he did clip my eyelid with the blade though, a single drop of blood directly on you eyeball seems quite huge!). the eyes were a bit sensitive for the rest of the evening - i liken it to being in a pool with way too much clorine, you can open your eyes if you must but it's more pleasant ot keep 'em shut. op was at 5 on the saturday evening, i went to bed early that night, woke up sunday morning with no pain and perfect vision - it was a very strange day!

That was almost a year ago now. I can't recommend it enough. Being able to see is cool :cool: if you've got any questions, feel free, it's better to have all the info you can get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

theteal wrote: »
    my old prescription would have been a little higher than yours (-1.75 both, iirc).

i hated wearing the specs and got sick of contacts after about 2 years of chopping and changing types i.e. monthlys, dailys, the ones you can keep in for the entire month - in the end i ended up having problems with each of them.

i had a consultation on the spur of a moment. the auld lad wanted check it out but he didn't want to go alone. i cant even remember the name of the company (Dr. Thakis somethingorother) that did the procedure - they folded about 3 months after the op, lucky i didn't need any check ups!

i had bi-lasik, procedure lasted a couple of minutes, all went relatively well (he did clip my eyelid with the blade though, a single drop of blood directly on you eyeball seems quite huge!). the eyes were a bit sensitive for the rest of the evening - i liken it to being in a pool with way too much clorine, you can open your eyes if you must but it's more pleasant ot keep 'em shut. op was at 5 on the saturday evening, i went to bed early that night, woke up sunday morning with no pain and perfect vision - it was a very strange day!

That was almost a year ago now. I can't recommend it enough. Being able to see is cool :cool: if you've got any questions, feel free, it's better to have all the info you can get

Hi theteal. Any idea what vision you have now? Is it 20/20 or better/worse? My main concern is I'm involved in target shooting so I would expect so have the same vision I have now but without the need for glasses. From your description of your surgery it sounds like you got the surgeon on the wrong day. Clipping your eyelid :eek: I wouldn't be pleased at all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

tbh i've never asked whether i'm a 20/20 or whatever, i never had perfect vision before the op and as far as i'm concerned, now it's as close to perfect as you can get(better than all of my friends now that have never needed spectacles). when in the pub with a match on, i find myself watching the furthest away TV. . .just because i can :D

i'm sure you're fully aware that this is just my result, other people have other varying results - and hopefully you get some more replies to help you make your decision.

Advertisement