Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability/Specific Learning Difficulty CAO Points

Options
  • 09-08-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Wondering if anyone has ticked that Disability/Specific Learning Difficulty box yoke you tick on the cao with the possiblity of getting extra points in previous years and could help me out..was wondering if any knows does it say that youve extra points on the actual results page or does it just go to colleges and they decide what to give when they send out the offers?. Just wondering anyway,i dunno if ill even get it cause ive just been like sick for the last year dunno if they'll care...hopefully anyway :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

If I remember rightly, ticking the Disability/Specific Learning Difficulty box does NOT give you extra points. Why should it? If you were like me have had a SLD you were given a laptop or spelling waver or what ever.

The box is there so the college will know if you have a disability and therefore beable to provide you with help if needs be.

Edit:
    Disclosure of a Disability and/or Specific Learning
    Difficulty will not adversely affect your application or
    your legal rights in any way.

The purpose of this procedure is to allow HEIs to consider,
    in consultation with you, any specific support needs you
    may have in a higher education institution.
    Some HEIs also take account of the impact of your
    disability or specific learning difficulty on your
    educational performance, through the provision of
    supplementary admission procedures. If you return a
    completed SIF to CAO you may be considered for an
    offer of a place under these procedures.

You may be assured that the disclosure of a disability or
    specific learning difficulty is designed solely to enable
    HEIs to support access to higher education by students
    with a disability or specific learning difficulty.

Ah I see, basically, if you submitted all the forms, you might get the place, but no extra points. At least that is my understanding...

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Ah I see, basically, if you submitted all the forms, you might get the place, but no extra points. At least that is my understanding...

Yep, I know a girl who got her course because of ticking the box, even without the points. You get your points the week before and you wait. Whereas others may guess if they get their course or not, anyone who tickes that box really has a tantilizing wait until the week after.
    It is not marked on your points sheet at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 imakenoise

If I remember rightly, ticking the Disability/Specific Learning Difficulty box does NOT give you extra points. Why should it? If you were like me have had a SLD you were given a laptop or spelling waver or what ever.

The box is there so the college will know if you have a disability and therefore beable to provide you with help if needs be.

Edit:

Yeah sorry,i know this,i filled out all the forms and have specailist letter and all that...which the consellor in the school said should do enough..because my illness was impacting on my learning and i was out loads.
    I was just wondering really if anyone knew when you find out if it'll give me extra points/get me into a course.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Think you will only find out when we get the offersnext week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

how you do guys??

• Advertisement
Advertisement