Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i am fairley fissed off

Options
  • 09-08-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

last tuesday the old girl was going to town to to have a new battery put in a watch, i handed her an old citizen aqualand c02 from the drawer, and asked her to have the dead batteries replaced, she arrived back saying the guy who does that work was off please return tomorrow the watches will be ready.
    on wedensday i handed her a sekio 7a28 saying it required a new battery, on arriving home she said that my watch was not ready but would be ready tomorrow (thursday), and that they would ring when they were ready, what about the sekio i asked, he said it would take more than a battery to get it going as it was a mechanical watch, ALARM BELLS, she then handed me a recipt for two watches,
    on thursday no fone call, on friday up to lunch time no fone call, after lunch i rang them, a guy answered, i gave him the no. on the recipt, ah yes he says they have just arrived up from our watchmaker,
    the citizen he said some body has being messing around with the insides of it, so it requires a trip to citizen to repair it, it requires 3 batterys not 1, GOBSMACKED, the sekio he says is water damaged, the workings are all rust. now i am both shocked and stunned,
    i said to him the citizen has being in the drawer since you guys changed the batterys last year, as was the sekio, but they still work in a drawer he says, then who messed with the insides i asked while it was in the drawer, come in and take them away i was told
    tomorrow i will get the old girl to collect them as if i go in and meet that guy me thinks i will make an unreal mistake.
    sorry for the long thread your comments and advise please

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

That's bloody dubious. :eek::mad: Now it's possible if the seiko was in an excessively damp environment it could corrode, but IMHO unlikely unless the last time the battery was changed they buggered the seals. In any case how did he figure it was a mechanical watch?? Yes they've a lovely movement not the usual plastic quartz movement but c'mon....

Ditto with what sounds like BS to me over the citizen.

If it was me I would go in and ask for managers etc. Raise hell.

TBH I haven't sent any of mine to a watchmaker here in many a year. They're either stupidly expensive or crap. Well that's been my personal experience anyway. Hopefully someone else has had better luck.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 hollowjourney

I aggree with Wibbs....kick up a storm. I wouldn't be surprised if they were describing another customers watch. What 'Old Boy' is been told sounds very bizarre.
    Would it be possible to have a sticky with a list of reputable watch repairers in Ireland. There seems to be a few past pupils of the ISIH on this site, maybe they could give a list of the watchmakers they know. This way the customer could deal directly with the person doing the repairs. I don't know if this would be against the rules with regard to advestising on boards but it seems to be a common issue with people finding someone to repair their watch and when they do they end up with a bad service. Any ideas on how this forum could help improve the current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

ok folks the watches are back, with the following descriptions,
    sekio chrono, rusty chrono, no parts, return to sekio.
    citizen watch, somebody was in this watch return to citizen, it is now missing 2 screws from the back plate which were on it when presented to the jewelers.
    the guy was insistant that he send the citizen away.
    i am going to take both to a shop that used to do an amount of repairs for me in the past and ask them to tell me all.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

I've used the folks below a couple of times for a battery replacement and pressure test on an Aqualand II. They'll post back as well. Think it cost around €35, both times was excellent service.

Citizen Watch Ireland
    Calcul International Ltd.
    Bay 20, Free Zone West
    Shannon
    Co. Clare
    Ireland

Tel 061472422
    calcul@solatrex.com

but the problem is has a part being removed or damaged, if so have i any come back,
    i spoke to the guy on the fone and he tried his best to fob me off, i asked him about then two screws missing from the back, he asked me to return to his shop and he would have them replaced, i asked him with two screws missing from the back could it happen that his watch guy forgot to replace something else, again i got fobbed off, i then told him that if the next guy found parts missing it would be either a solicitor or the small claims court, he then hung up.

the citizen place in shannon is the next stop thanks o.p.

• Advertisement

i managed to unscrew the back of the sekio, with the aid of some blue tack, the movement is prestine, what the fcuk is their problem, the citizen is on its way to shannon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

old boy wrote: »
    i managed to unscrew the back of the sekio, with the aid of some blue tack, the movement is prestine, what the fcuk is their problem, the citizen is on its way to shannon.

They sound like cowboys a right shower.

What shop was it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep it defo smells more and more like BS. It's a real pain in the bum when this guff happens and then people wonder why you seek alternatives, even overseas. :mad:

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement