Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Them Crooked Vultures (Josh Homme; Dave Grohl; John Paul Jones)

Options
  • 09-08-2009 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2009/07/crooked-vultures/
    Earlier this month we received definitive confirmation of the long-rumored collaboration between Josh Homme, Dave Grohl and John Paul Jones. Much to the ecstatic delight of anyone with good taste in music, the band is currently putting the finishing touches on an actual album. The band is called Them Crooked Vultures.

Details are understandably scarce regarding this most secret of collaborations, but in a recent interview we did with Homme’s wife, Brody Dalle of Spinnerette, she shared her opinion:

“I’m not at liberty to talk about it… but I think [the project] is pretty ****ing amazing. Just beats and sounds like you’ve never heard before.”

While enticing, that was the last word on the issue for a few weeks… until just the other night, that is.

Here’s the big news: We’ve learned from an inside source very involved in the developments that the band has concrete plans to tour together. Led Zeppelin is not reuniting, Foo Fighters are currently on hiatus, and Queens Of The Stone Age aren’t looking to reconvene until next year to record the follow-up to 2007’s Era Vulgaris. The runway is all clear for the best band you haven’t heard yet, and they’ve got their key in the ignition.

In a 2005 interview with Mojo magazine, Grohl confirmed the roles would be the most logical ones: “The next project that I’m trying to initiate involves me on drums, Josh Homme on guitar, and John Paul Jones playing bass. That’s the next album. That wouldn’t suck.” So the only question remaining is who would be singing. Speculation runs rampant, but nothing has been confirmed yet.

John Paul Jones dropped a vague hint about the tour plans in April, in an interview with French journalist Cyril Deluermoz: ”I’m working on some other music, which is more rock based, with a couple of other people. We hope to be everywhere this summer.”

http://www.themcrookedvultures.com/

This could be amazing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Thread about these a few links down, under 'New Supergroup'. Playing Chicago tonight...lets see what happens. Looking forward to vids tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭fortuneg

They've got a forum up

http://vultur.es/3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Brilliant song! Used youtube converter the other day and now have at least part of the album on my ipod! Cant wait till the 16th November until it comes out!

It'll be out here on the 14th, the Friday:D

Am just using my live audio versions on my mp3 player....oh so good..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Couple of new stuff to keep ye going for the next week or so until this hits!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Seems like I have been waiting forever since I preordered, can't wait to get it and hopefully see them live.

rednik wrote: »
    Seems like I have been waiting forever since I preordered, can't wait to get it and hopefully see them live.

I still haven't pre-ordered...thinking of getting the vinyl thing that apprantly comes with some t-shirt. And then off to the touts for London show(I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Well only a few days to go and hopefully they will play hear so you can avoid those touts in London.

rednik wrote: »
    Well only a few days to go and hopefully they will play hear so you can avoid those touts in London.

They won't be playing here this year. I prob would go touts if I had to, altho know people who may swing something for me. Would be unbelievably sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Caco

All the songs are up on YouTube now, got the link from their Facebook page!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

They sound good but I expected better tbh.

3 amazing musicians having lot of fun...I am loving this. Off to ebay with myself for tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

I'm going to see them in January here in New Zealand. They should put on a good show if nothing else, and Dave was meant to be ace on their European live shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Anyone get the album? It was out here yesterday. Its fúcking amazing! It reminds me of the best of QOTSA with some absolutely fantastic bass courtesy of JPJ. Very long as well, good value for money! Definitely a contender for Album of the Year IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Anyone get the album? It was out here yesterday. Its fúcking amazing! It reminds me of the best of QOTSA with some absolutely fantastic bass courtesy of JPJ. Very long as well, good value for money! Definitely a contender for Album of the Year IMO :)

Yeah picked it up yesterday along with Devin Townsend's new album, which is bloody amazing. TCV is a really good listen. It really is like QOTSA with a bit more groove.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sounds pretty meh to my ears I have to say, not a fan of Mr Grohl which doesn't help of course but the music suffers all the usual 21st century maladies of needless excessive compression and fuzzy guitar hell.

Got the album myself. Obviously liked it from youtube, but when had it blasting out in my ears:cool: Even better I think. Main highlights are all of track 1, intro drums for New Fang, main riff for Dead End Friends, ending of Caligulove, Gunman, riff off spinning in Daffodils. Thats only amongst them too.

EDIT: I'm also fairly deaf from it now, and searching for London tickets.

Mushy wrote: »
    I'm also fairly deaf from it now

Same here! :D Must be my tenth time listening to all of it in the last 24 hours and its not getting boring. Its a hard rocking album but also something you can boogie to imo :cool:

Same here! :D Must be my tenth time listening to all of it in the last 24 hours and its not getting boring. Its a hard rocking album but also something you can boogie to imo :cool:

Can definitely boogie to it alright...like at the hammersmith on 17th December, boo-ya!:cool:

• Advertisement

Can definitely boogie to it alright...like at the hammersmith on 17th December, boo-ya!:cool:

I am officially jealous! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Kess73 wrote: »
    Yeah picked it up yesterday along with Devin Townsend's new album, which is bloody amazing. TCV is a really good listen. It really is like QOTSA with a bit more groove.

I can understand people not liking his singing or guitar playing but when at a drum kit there is not many that can match him tbh. Im really loving the album. nobody loves me, elephants, warsaw and gun man are my favourites.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    I can understand people not liking his singing or guitar playing but when at a drum kit there is not many that can match him tbh. Im really loving the album. nobody loves me, elephants, warsaw and gun man are my favourites.
    Grohl is a great drummer, but there are many who can match and surpass him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Them Crooked Vultures Concert on BBC2(?) tonight after Jools Holland about 12:30.

Think its the Reading/Leeds stuff from august. Also think they on Jools Holland on 4th December.

Came home for work yesterday, and there it was, like a shining beacon of light against the dark clouds outside. Ticket for Hammersmith arrived, then played the album at near full blast to celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

I know its been a few months since the last post but I just got this album this week. Quite liking it. Bandoliers and Reptiles are cracking songs. Going to ggive a few more blasts over the weekend. It seems to be growing on me with every listen.

newblue08 wrote: »
    I know its been a few months since the last post but I just got this album this week. Quite liking it. Bandoliers and Reptiles are cracking songs. Going to ggive a few more blasts over the weekend. It seems to be growing on me with every listen.

Amazing songs, amazing album. Getting more into Elephants by the day. Nobody Loves Me, well, it has that IMMENSE riff, Dead End Friends and gunman are just sweet songs. And as good as the album is, live its one of the best shows. No fancy light shows, no image, just 4 lads putting one hell of a very loud rock n roll show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

Amazing songs, amazing album. Getting more into Elephants by the day. Nobody Loves Me, well, it has that IMMENSE riff, Dead End Friends and gunman are just sweet songs. And as good as the album is, live its one of the best shows. No fancy light shows, no image, just 4 lads putting one hell of a very loud rock n roll show.

Hopefully they'll make it over here for a show at some stage.

newblue08 wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll make it over here for a show at some stage.

I have a dream of an Olympia show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I have a dream of an Olympia show.

I have a dream of any kind of show to be honest. I'll settle for going to England if needs be.

Advertisement