Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most poorly maintained routes

Options
  • 09-08-2009 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭

Driving along the N7/M7 from Newlands Cross to Newbridge and back again, I was very disappointed by the poor maintenance, rubbish and general unkempt condition of this road which was only refurbished in recent years (c. 2006).

On my short journey I saw:
    • Rubbish (mostly plastic bottles) littered along the whole length of the M7
    • A mattress thrown on the hard shoulder/verge on the M7 at Naas
    • Bags of rubbish dumped near the Newbridge exit southbound (exit 12)
    • Plastic barriers (red & white variety) mangled and neglected at the Rathcoole exit northbound.
    • At least two lampposts knocked down and left in a dangerous state
    • Graffiti disfiguring some of the road signs
    It all looks very shoddy and unbecoming of what is the main gateway to the whole south.

Anybody know of any routes which are as badly maintained as this? Its a shame to see it and reflects very badly on those responsible for maintaining it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Where to start? The whole of the M8, from Dunkettle right the way up the Cullahill. You could make enough hay to feed the cattle of Ireland from what's growing on it. Sightlines are affected on the Glanmire Bypass because of it. I phoned the NRA, Cork County Council, and, latterly, the RSA about it last June after witnessing a near accident. Nothing was done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Cork SRR. lots of rubbish and unkempt foilage. The older sections especially are particularly hideous.

Also the N20 DC to Blarney always seems to be littered with burnt out cars when i drive on it. Norries eh?.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,145 ✭✭✭✭L1011

non-PPP sections of the M1, most ADS signs are now unreadable, some can't even be seen

There's also some signs in the median of the widened N7 section (generally telling people to go to the next bridge to loop back for where there used to be a median breach) that have been unreadable due to growth since 2007 at the earliest! Only noticed them when crawling the miles out to Rathcoole due to a three-lane impacting crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,945 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

NedNew wrote: »
    Driving along the N7/M7 from Newlands Cross to Newbridge and back again, I was very disappointed by the poor maintenance, rubbish and general unkempt condition of this road which was only refurbished in recent years (c. 2006).

On my short journey I saw:
    • Rubbish (mostly plastic bottles) littered along the whole length of the M7
    • A mattress thrown on the hard shoulder/verge on the M7 at Naas
    • Bags of rubbish dumped near the Newbridge exit southbound (exit 12)
    • Plastic barriers (red & white variety) mangled and neglected at the Rathcoole exit northbound.
    • At least two lampposts knocked down and left in a dangerous state
    • Graffiti disfiguring some of the road signs
    It all looks very shoddy and unbecoming of what is the main gateway to the whole south.

Anybody know of any routes which are as badly maintained as this? Its a shame to see it and reflects very badly on those responsible for maintaining it.

It's only going to get worst as all councils have had there budgets cut so they won't be spending much money on road cleaning. They should do like some US states do and have DUI's out every weekend tiding the roads.
    MYOB wrote: »
    non-PPP sections of the M1, most ADS signs are now unreadable, some can't even be seen

There's also some signs in the median of the widened N7 section (generally telling people to go to the next bridge to loop back for where there used to be a median breach) that have been unreadable due to growth since 2007 at the earliest! Only noticed them when crawling the miles out to Rathcoole due to a three-lane impacting crash.

Most of them bushes have been cut back now so the signs are visable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Del2005 wrote: »
    They should do like some US states do and have DUI's out every weekend tiding the roads.

No they shouldn't. I like a cleanly kept Motorway/DC as much as the next guy but we may as well just put people in stocks if we're going down this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I thought ye meant poorly maintained routes like the N6 through Ballinasloe or the N17 through Tuam or the N18 through Gort.... Like potholes and pothills where they are badly fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

The N25 from Carrigtwohill to Midleton - because it was due a complete revamp, there has been little or no money spent on upkeep, and it shows - the surface is on its last legs in places, with the large sections of it in the process of disintegrating entirely.

DC surfaces that have a high volume of traffic need to be completely resurfaced every 10-12 years - this Dual Carriageway has been there for a lot longer than that without a re-lay, and it carries 35k movements per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

M6 Westbound between Moate and Athlone has 2 blown out tyres in the median for the last 8 months at least. Also, there a lightpole futher East on the Westbound carriageway that was knocked down ages ago and hadn't been fixed the last time I passed.

Also, have already noticed a few small pieces of rubbish/debris in the median and verge of brand new section of M6 between Athlone and Ballinasloe. I know people should not be throwing rubbish out their car windows in the first place but there should be patrols every now and again to remove rubbish and debris.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Any national secondary road. They really are the forgotten links in our road network, with the NRA concentrating on the motorways and primary roads and councils on the regional and local network. The NRA really neglects the national secondary network - check out the N81 south of Tallaght, or the N52.

They are so neglected, that they are the prime roads to see in-situ 1980s signs, if you're on the look out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The N20 soon to be M20 isn't as bad as some of the examples here, or indeed routes I've seen myself, and even so it boasts vegetation obscuring signs (even *after* cutting) and substantial sections of wire barrier detensioned or even lying on the ground (it may as well not be there). The odd blown out tyre too in the median (lorry tyres as on other DCs - I'm pretty glad not to have witnessed this ever but seemingly it's not unusual).

We do need motorway maintanance but I doubt people would want to fund someone (public or private) to do it and anyone that theoretically should be doing it probably doesn't have the money or resources.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭The Word Is Bor

Aidan1 wrote: »
    The N25 from Carrigtwohill to Midleton - because it was due a complete revamp, there has been little or no money spent on upkeep, and it shows - the surface is on its last legs in places, with the large sections of it in the process of disintegrating entirely.

DC surfaces that have a high volume of traffic need to be completely resurfaced every 10-12 years - this Dual Carriageway has been there for a lot longer than that without a re-lay, and it carries 35k movements per day.

The amount is standing water in the outside lane (both eastbound and westbound) is a huge safety hazard in of itself. Very badly needs to be resurfaced.

Advertisement