Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

suggest a family car

Options
  • 09-08-2009 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a new / newish car in the next month or so and need some advice. I want one that has enough space in the back for 3 child seats, enough space in the boot for the serious amount of stuff that goes with kiddies, and one that is generally going to be reliable.

I'm thinking of getting a diesel to keep running costs down a bit. I'd also like one with a few toys to keep me entertained as I tend to spend quite a lot of time in the car these days.

Any suggestions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bhotshot007

two that spring to mind are the Honda Accord diesel and Toyota Avensis - both very reliable i understand - good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You wont get three regular child seats into an Avensis. I'd look at a Honda FR-V or similar

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

david wrote: »
    You wont get three regular child seats into an Avensis. I'd look at a Honda FR-V or similar

corolla verso will also get 3 seats across the 2nd row.

S-Max though if you want a bigger boot than both above of Zafira

• Registered Users Posts: 51,140 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about a conventional hatchback or saloon car for putting 3 child seats in the rear. They simply will not fit. Your looking at an MPV for this type of arrangement.

Something like a Ford S-Max, Mazda 5, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or Renault Grand Scenic come to mind. Honda FRV is a good choice with it's two rows of 3 seats but they are no longer being made and the diesel is very rare and expensive. Might also be worth holding on a little for the new Auris Verso which will replace the current Corolla Verso. It is supposed to be slightly bigger and have a better seating arrangement.

If the S-Max is too big then another new MPV due later this year is the new C-Max which will be available with 7 seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

It's a tight squeeze but I can fit 3 car seats in the back of my Mondeo. and the boot is HUGE.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote: »
    Forget about a conventional hatchback or saloon car for putting 3 child seats in the rear. They simply will not fit. Your looking at an MPV for this type of arrangement.

Something like a Ford S-Max, Mazda 5, Citroen C4 Grand Picasso or Renault Grand Scenic come to mind. Honda FRV is a good choice with it's two rows of 3 seats but they are no longer being made and the diesel is very rare and expensive. Might also be worth holding on a little for the new Auris Verso which will replace the current Corolla Verso. It is supposed to be slightly bigger and have a better seating arrangement.

If the S-Max is too big then another new MPV due later this year is the new C-Max which will be available with 7 seats.

I think the new Verso is just longer than the current model which is no harm as it needs the extra boot space.

Seat width across the 2nd row is no problem getting 3 seats..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

Friend of mine just got a Grand Scenic. Highly recommended

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

bazz26 wrote:

Medium hatch/saloon-sedans (Focus/Astra/3/Yaris/Golf etc.) certainly, but you're wrong about full saloons (Mondeo/Insignia/6/Avensis) - some of the newer ones can surprise you with the amount of room in the back, both width and depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Solitaire wrote: »
    Medium hatch/saloon-sedans (Focus/Astra/3/Yaris/Golf etc.) certainly, but you're wrong about full saloons (Mondeo/Insignia/6/Avensis) - some of the newer ones can surprise you with the amount of room in the back, both width and depth.

OP, bring your car seats along when you view any car, and try fitting them. Even a wide saloon like the Mondeo can be a problem, depending on where the seatbelt buckles/isofix points are.

We bought an S-Max 2.0 diesel in Jan 08, and it's the best family car in the world, ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Ford C-max will take 3 child seats in the back too and cheaper than the S-max if you don't need that much space.
    Get the Zetec spec at the minumum for toys.
    1.6 Tdci is a pretty good engine too with enough poke and good economy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Avensis all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

Thanks for those suggestions. Plenty to think about, and plenty to go and view.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Thankfully, you're wrong. I'd rather stick me bits in a grinder than drive an MPV :D

It depends on the child seats of course, but most D-segment cars (Mondeo, Avensis, Vectra, Passat, etc.) would fit 2 high back boosters and 1 full child (baby) seat, although depending on the car, the fit might be tight. Even some C-segment cars would still be ok. The OP will have to try and fit the seats before buying!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

he he... yer all not trying hard enough... i can get 3 car seats in the back of my focus estate :D

<<<<hides grazed knuckles behind back and takes note of recomendations on thread>>>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Forget about a conventional hatchback or saloon car for putting 3 child seats in the rear. They simply will not fit.
    Exactly, have tried it myself.
    Your looking at an MPV for this type of arrangement.
    Ideally, yes, but not necessarily. And no, you won't get 3 seats across an FR-V. Believe me, I've tried. Or a Multipla.

But if an MPV doesn't work, you have other half-way houses - but it's still essentially a car with 3 rows of seats - Peugeot SW's, or Honda Stream's spring to mind. Verso's, yes - but you'll be using the 3 rows.
    S-Max won't take the 3 seat across, either, so you'll need the 7-seat version. Which is the same price as a Galaxy (which is we bought one).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I don't see a budget, but there's some great value out ther in 08 E-Classes and A6s

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/172915-mercedes-benz-e220-dublin?r=/vehicles/75,664/*/2008-2008/*/flat/
    Even has a DVD player to keep the rear seat inhabitants happy. Tax €630

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A6/D-S-LINE/200909191991079/advert?channel=CARS
    A few to choose from. Tax again €630

http://www.carlist.ie/vehicles/view/150316-volvo-s80-cork?r=/vehicles/144,237/*/2008-/*/flat/
    Tax €630 again.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520d-SE/200929194648157/advert?channel=CARS
    Tax an amazingly low €302/ €156 (manual)

The new Accord is in the same price range, but I couldn't find one with leather on Carzone.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/TITANIUM/200932194844940/advert?channel=CARS
    Mondeo. Tax €630 /€447 (manual)

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Avensis/2.2-dies/200930194679575/advert?channel=CARS
    Avensis. Tax €447/ €156 (2l Manual) €302 2.2 Manual

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Oops...forgot the Insignia.

galwaytt wrote: »
    Verso's, yes - but you'll be using the 3 rows.

gtt, you can get 3 seats across the Verso...I've done it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    gtt, you can get 3 seats across the Verso...I've done it

Guys, it depends on the seats as well as the car! Some child seats these days are the size of an armchair. The OP will just have to try.

Mind you, if you shove the middle seat all the way forward and the two window seats all the way back, you can fit 3 damn big seats in an S-Max, so galwaytt must be fitting first class airline seats or something.

Zube wrote: »
    Guys, it depends on the seats as well as the car! Some child seats these days are the size of an armchair. The OP will just have to try.

Mind you, if you shove the middle seat all the way forward and the two window seats all the way back, you can fit 3 damn big seats in an S-Max, so galwaytt must be fitting first class airline seats or something.

you're right, its all to do with being able to move the 3 2nd row seats independently of each other. This is possible in the verso so you can like zube says move the window seats back a bit and the middle forward. However I have got 3 boosters across the 3 seats without sliding them out of alignemnt with eachother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

They'd be 3 normal size child seats - currently Britax Evolva 123, so not gigantic but too big for a lot of cars as the middle seat is never designed to be as big as the outer two.

I don't think using a third row of seats on a daily basis would be practical in my case as we tend to need a lot of boot space for a buggy, change bags etc. Maybe we'll just get a van and strap the kids to the roof... might be quieter anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

You won't get 3 regular sized child seats into an 03-08 Avensis, my parents have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,851 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ITDept wrote: »
    They'd be 3 normal size child seats - currently Britax Evolva 123, so not gigantic but too big for a lot of cars

Just googled it and it looks like a fairly substantial seat, much wider than a high back booster anyway. I don't think 3 of those would fit in any D-class saloon / hatchback. You could try a bigger type saloon or estate car like a Audi A6, BMW 5-series, Merc E-class, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭depadz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Skoda Superb. More space than a small ballroom and relaible as can be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Buy what you like and get some of these for the childern who are old enough.
    http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/tested-autosafe-seat-belt-adjuster/230874

Advertisement