Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secure Area for a Website

Options
  • 09-08-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

I am designing a website in which part of the site is going to include a secure area for clients.

Basically on entering their email and password they get access to a secure area that relates only to them. This secure section would give details such as name, contact details, facility to change password, date of last login and then content pertaining to them (photos, events calendar). Initally the number of customers would be small but has the potential to grow fairly large.

What do I need to get this kind of thing working from within the website. I would much prefer an automatic type thing - some software I could install and set up for each client that signs up. Also, it would have to be easy to maintain - the less coding required the better.

Any suggesstions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Andy ;-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Most CMSs have the ability to do this - publicly accessible pages and then authenticated user pages. There are different implementations but a typical one would be to have a template for private pages like:
    <?php
    if (/* check for authenticated user */) {
     //content
    }
    else {
      echo "You're not on the guest list, you're not coming in";
    }
    ?>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

Hi all,

I am designing a website in which part of the site is going to include a secure area for clients.

Basically on entering their email and password they get access to a secure area that relates only to them. This secure section would give details such as name, contact details, facility to change password, date of last login and then content pertaining to them (photos, events calendar). Initally the number of customers would be small but has the potential to grow fairly large.

What do I need to get this kind of thing working from within the website. I would much prefer an automatic type thing - some software I could install and set up for each client that signs up. Also, it would have to be easy to maintain - the less coding required the better.

Any suggesstions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Andy ;-)

you could use ASP.NET for the signin and password, changeing password and you could have their name displayed. in coffeecup passoword, you can have different pages for different users, the only disavantage is that you will have to update every users page to show the orders!

im talking wysiwyg (because i find coding very boring and if theres a mistake, i have to reupload it, bla bla bla)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Membership and role based auth is quite easy in ASP.NET and you can segment for different types of users ...

Depending on your requirements, you can use the standard one out of the box which includes things like changing passwords and forgot password functionality

Advertisement