Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mohammed Ali is coming to Ennis. (maybe)

Options
  • 09-08-2009 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭

Cool!
    Ali visit to Ennis confirmed
    08/08/2009 - 18:58:03

muhammadalituxap.jpgBoxing legend Muhammad Ali will visit his ancestral Irish home next month, it was confirmed today.

The former world heavyweight champion has accepted an invitation to see the birthplace of his great-grandfather in Ennis, Co Clare, on September 1.

He is due to visit Dublin for a charity event the previous day.

Members of Ennis Town Council are expected to make the 67-year-old, who is fighting Parkinson’s disease, the first Honorary Freeman of Ennis Town during his trip.

Mayor Frankie Neylon said thousands of visitors will come to the town to see the world famous boxer.

“I have no doubt that the people of Clare will turn out in huge numbers to welcome Muhammad Ali and that the boxer himself will thoroughly enjoy his visit to the Ireland’s Banner County,” he added.

Ali’s great-grandfather Abe Grady emigrated from his home on the Turnpike Road in Ennis to the United States in the 1860s.

Grady sailed from Cappa Harbour in Kilrush, Co Clare, eventually settling in Kentucky, where he married an African-American woman.

300x250.gif
    Their son also married an African-American and one of the daughters of that union was Ali’s mother, named Odessa Lee Grady.

She married Cassius Clay, senior, and they settled in Louisville, where their son was initially given his father’s name on his birth in 1942. He later changed his name to Muhammad Ali when he converted to the Nation of Islam after winning the world title in 1964.

Mayor Neylon said further details of Ali’s visit would be finalised during a special meeting of Ennis Town Council on Monday week.

“I will be proposing at the Town Council meeting that a Civic Reception, the highest honour that this town can give, be held in Muhammad Ali’s honour,” said Cllr Neylon.

“I will also be proposing that he be named the first Honorary Freeman of Ennis Town.”

He said the public interest in this planned visit has been immense.

“I believe that the publicity surrounding it will result in thousands of additional visitors to the town,” he added.

“The visit will serve as a huge boost to the local economy including its bars and hotels, which have experienced a huge downturn in business over the last year.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

The greatest of all time! One of my heroes.

"A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. "

love that quote!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I read that online a it ago, it said he was tracing relations in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

Muhammed Ali is part irish??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Muhammed Ali is part irish??
    So is Barak Obama, Have you passed Monegall recently :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

I thought he was dead?

• Advertisement

So is Barak Obama, Have you passed Monegall recently :rolleyes:

Yea I knew about that one. Next thing you know 50 Cent will be claiming his granny's from Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I gather all his ancensters live out in Dun na HInse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

This tops Des Lynam.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Yea I knew about that one. Next thing you know 50 Cent will be claiming his granny's from Tallaght.

She is seen her in da square de otter day....:D

She is seen her in da square de otter day....:D

You can find her in da square, drinkin' Bulmers Pear

• Advertisement

Watched a documentary on him recently and can safely he was a complete prick..and happily screwed over quite a few people.

Not to mention He was an admitted racist,who met with the heads of the k.k.k and strongly supported black separatism at the time.

Although I will happilly admit he was great at punching people in the face.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Is there any truth in the rumour that The Citizen has arranged for this trip, because there's a lot of trouble with skangers in the town centre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

That would make sense.

Advertisement