Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FSX & Problems with Trim

Options
  • 09-08-2009 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭

Hi there...

I just got FSX and I'm completely new to it all. So far all I've tried is a couple of flights in the Cessna 172, but I've spent more time trying to adjust trim than anything else!

Basically, I'm using an old joystick, a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold USB. I calibrated it before I started FSX, but once in the air the plane either starts ascending or descending, even with the joystick centred. I adjust the trim so that it levels out, but then if I move the joystick at all it's like the centre-point has changed and I have to adjust trim again. It's very annoying!

So, I'm looking for advice. Is there, as I hope, something I can do with the settings of FSX ( or the Joystick ) to sort this out, or do I, as I fear, have to look at another joystick? And if I do, what should I be looking at? Thanks a lot...

J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Actually, I probably should have waited before posting, as some further investigation seems to have helped.

Firstly, I've reduced the graphic level so that FSX now runs a lot more smoothly. That helps because the joystick movement and trim adjustments are a lot more gradual and not as jumpy.

And secondly, I found the 'Null Zone' settings ( or something like that ) in the Control Options, and I've set the Null Zone to be a bit bigger. It just means I need to move the joystick that little bit more before the plane responds, but it's also cut down on the centre point of the joystick wandering a bit.

However, I'm still curious if anyone can recommend a good joystick / flight yoke? Thanks a lot...

J.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

Hey there, Im using the Saitek x52, I can highly recommend it. It is quite pricey but if you look out on ebay you can get the odd bargain. I got mine of pixmanias ebay shop. If you do a lot of virtual flying its a good buy.
    loads of buttons and switches to assign to every task and a mouse pointer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,314 ✭✭✭jasonb

Thanks for that, I'll check it out, and pixmania's Ebay shop too! I guess I'm just looking for things to spend money on until I have enough money to fly in the real world! :confused:

J.

Advertisement