Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

foam boards?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

hey just wonderin does anyone think that foam boards are worth a try!!
    i bought a bic board few months ago and im getting no where with it think i need something to lift my spirits again cause i used be flyin when i was on them at the start!! does anyone know where i can get one???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Peterd66

The reason the foam boards worked for you was not because they were foam, though that would help but because the were long boards. I started two years ago and I got great advice from the school (thanks Killian in Surf and Turf Bundoran) and they told me to buy a long board, in my case 9' 2''. It is virtually impossible not to catch a wave no matter how small with it. It is the surfing equilivant of a big black bike, easy to use but you will not be doing any tricks.
    I have subseuently also bought a bic and progressed to it but still love the long board ease and feel.

Peter:)

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

_kier_ wrote: »
    hey just wonderin does anyone think that foam boards are worth a try!!
    i bought a bic board few months ago and im getting no where with it think i need something to lift my spirits again cause i used be flyin when i was on them at the start!! does anyone know where i can get one???

What size is the Bic you are surfing?? Generally, even in comparrison to a 9ft board the foamies will have way more volume and thus buoyancy and will be easier to surf.

How often do actually manage to get out and surf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 _kier_

my board is 7`3 im only about 5`4 so i couldnt actually lift any bigger to be honest i have enuf probs liftin my board as it is!! i know i know ur goin to say its too small but i was actually told it would be fine!!! wrong advice clearly!! i used go out every weekend but recently ive slowly givin up pathetic i know but i cant do it!!! and its so dishartening you know!!!

my board is 7`3 im only about 5`4 so i couldnt actually lift any bigger to be honest i have enuf probs liftin my board as it is!! i know i know ur goin to say its too small but i was actually told it would be fine!!! wrong advice clearly!! i used go out every weekend but recently ive slowly givin up pathetic i know but i cant do it!!! and its so dishartening you know!!!

Yep I know how disheartening it is!!

Just because you go longer doesn't mean that the board will be heavier than the one you have at the minute. Some of those bics and NSP's weigh a tonne. I was out the other day on a 7'10" NSP and it is heavier than the 8'6" I would usually surf.

I would seriously recommend an 8ft. But tbh a 7'3" doesn't sound like it is too small, given your height.

But there are a numbeer of factors when purchasing a board. Its not just height, its width and its thickness will all come into play. So a foamie of the same length may actually be a bad buy if it is narrower....

What I reckon is look around at some 7'6" - 8ft boards. And look at the measurements ensuring that they are larger than what you are surfing at the minute. And don't be afraid to lift em up to make sure that they aren't too heavy.

Might be worth looking at some epoxy boards that are a small bit lighter..

kkk ur goin to kill me....i got a 7`3 cause it came in a unreal design haha pathetic i no and now lookin back i regret it ha!!!
    i had a 7`6 in tubes holdin it but i could manage it like i couldnt fit it under my arm lol i couldnt hold it ya no!! so the next was a 7`3 and it wasnt in tubes that told me a 7`3 would be fine think it was union chandelery in cork!!
    but any way we brought my cousins to the surf school the other day and while they were havinf fun standin up i was tryin and kept getin to my knees i think i need the joy of it back!!! ya think ya can buy from surf schools!!! i honestly dont mind how damaged it would be lol just want the fun back in surfin!!!!!

• Advertisement

I'd say they do... I know that a year or so back that a couple of people I know bought old Swell boards off of Lahinch Surf School. Might be worth a shot giving them a call...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

loctite wrote: »
    I'd say they do... I know that a year or so back that a couple of people I know bought old Swell boards off of Lahinch Surf School. Might be worth a shot giving them a call...

Yesterday I bought a new 7' foamie in Kilkee, Co. Clare.:D Got in for €90 with fins, leash and bag.:cool: Dimensions are: 7' x 20" x 3-4" Don't know if there is any point buying a battered second-hand foamie when a new one can be bought so cheaply.:eek: I'm 5'1" and was recommended to get a 7' so maybe the same size might suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

i will give you a 8ft alder softop foamy thats only 3 months old for 100euro if you like.

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Yesterday I bought a new 7' foamie in Kilkee, Co. Clare.:D Got in for €90 with fins, leash and bag.:cool: Dimensions are: 7' x 20" x 3-4" Don't know if there is any point buying a battered second-hand foamie when a new one can be bought so cheaply.:eek: I'm 5'1" and was recommended to get a 7' so maybe the same size might suit you.

Hey.. thats sounds like a great price. Whats the board like and where did you get it in Kilkee???

loctite wrote: »
    Hey.. thats sounds like a great price. Whats the board like and where did you get it in Kilkee???
    TBH I don't know a whole lot about boards and I haven't really used it yet... It seems sturdy enough though... Made by Silence Surf...

Got it in Ocean Life Surf Shop, Main Street, Kilkee, Co. Clare... The shop beside The Greyhound Bar... The shop has a 50% sale off everything... they are getting rid of stock for winter (they only open during summer months) I got a top of the range snorkel mask for €20 as well, down from €40...:D No proper boards though:( Only foamies...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 maisy.c

neon_glows wrote: »
    i will give you a 8ft alder softop foamy thats only 3 months old for 100euro if you like.

hey, if you still have that board id be interested in it. where are you living?

the board in killkee seems worth the trip thats brilliant for a new one!! i just need somethin to get me back into surfin at the moment im commin up wit reasons not to go and i hate that cause at the start i really enjoyed it just got too disheartening after awhile...roll on the foamie!!!

the board in killkee seems worth the trip thats brilliant for a new one!! i just need somethin to get me back into surfin at the moment im commin up wit reasons not to go and i hate that cause at the start i really enjoyed it just got too disheartening after awhile...roll on the foamie!!!
    I'd definitely contact the shop before travelling, stock was disappearing fast last time I was there... I'm back in Limerick now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

I started of on a bic 5,10 when i was 11 now im 13 and im surfing a surftech surfboard
    so yes i think bic boards r great to start when i started id had 3 or 4 lessons on swell boards (foam ones) And it took me about 8hours of practice to get used to the board and be able to stand up....My dad lives in achill so i can go surfing when ever i want
    if u cant and only go one every two weeks i,d say get a foam board but if u go one to twice a week get a bic not a 5,10 cause i had to paddle to hard to be able to catch waves cause i weighted 52kgs and they only take around 45kgs so id say get a 6,10 around that size also foam boards are alot of fun but not as much as a bic if you no how to use it
    If ur ever in achill rent ur self a foam board for like 20quid a day And that will help u progress in ur surfing sorry about my S*** Spellings

Do u have 5'10" board?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭markY6222

Jackobyte wrote: »
    Do u have 5'10" board?

Yes why? But as i said it hardly has any float 4 my weight

Advertisement