Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a link between how drunk you get and how bad your hangover will be?

Options
  • 08-08-2009 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

example

if you drink a small amount of high alcoholic stuff, would it be the same as drinking a large amount of low alcoholic stuff...
    in terms of how bad the hangover will be the next day.

i want to know because i like the buzz of becoming slightly drunk but i absolutely hate being hungover and im trying to find a way to avoid this

on a different note has anyone ever tried a mix of blue aftershock with robinsons orange? jasus its lovely....

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you like being slightly drunk then how are you getting a hangover? When you're nicely drunk, stop drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

12th birthday celebrations must be more fun these days

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

I dont think there is a link.......

I would usually drink water and take a painkiller ( 2 ),before going to bed . ( if I remember )

Its also recommended to eat a decent meal before you go drinking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Depends what you drink and how you're drinking it IMO.
    I've gone out for all day benders, steadily drank my weight in pints and got through the next day with nothing approaching a bad h/o...then again I've come home after work, not eaten f*ck all and got stuck into a few bottles of red wine over the course of a few hours and felt like hiroshima had gone off in my head the next morning.

Chemicals in the beer/wine/spirits you're drinking combined with the time of day you drink them, the amount you've eaten that day, the amount of water you've drank that day and how much sleep you've had combine with many other factors to make hangovers a bit of a lottery.
    The time I'm assured of a v. bad h/o is when I start off on pints of lager and progress on to vodkas and red bulls.
    I've also found over the years that cigarettes are a big factor in your h/o severity the next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yes. /thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Dehydration plays a big part in it. Drink a lot of water before you go to bed and have some handy for when you wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭The Davestator

hangovers are caused by dehydration. water is scarce so your liver takes all available fluids (including from brain) to avoid, drink water and to be really sure, try to drink a diarolite before going to sleep (if you can get it down)

I am in the process of testing this theory and will report back in the am (providing im not too hungover....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wertz wrote: »
    I've gone out for all day benders, steadily drank my weight in pints and got through the next day with nothing approaching a bad h/o.

Kilos or stones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

Does a one legged duck swim in circles?!?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

just drink the weaker stuff as you dont want to get drunk straigt away and puke your guts up/make a tit of yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Does a one legged duck swim in circles?!?!?

Not sure, but what I want to know is:

Is the Pope Catholic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MrPatMustard

If you drink a bottle of vodka in an hour, obviously you will be hungover the next day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

kevogy wrote: »
    example

if you drink a small amount of high alcoholic stuff, would it be the same as drinking a large amount of low alcoholic stuff...
    in terms of how bad the hangover will be the next day.

i want to know because i like the buzz of becoming slightly drunk but i absolutely hate being hungover and im trying to find a way to avoid this

on a different note has anyone ever tried a mix of blue aftershock with robinsons orange? jasus its lovely....

And this is how you plan to avoid hangovers:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

That would be the conventional wisdom, yes!

Although other variables may affect the extent of said hangover, things such as when you last ate, what you ate, the phase of the moon, wind direction & the colour of ones armpit hair all have a bearing.

Good luck with your excess intake of alcohol and remember always wear protection, there are far too many vile idiots in the world as it is!

Advertisement